Newbie question please help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Newbie question please help

Hi everybody I am new here, how you guys doing? I have I used have a small planted tank for only half year so I really dont know about things that I need for a planted tank. I going to setup a 45 gallon tank with some moss ball, java moss and also some anubias plant on driftwood. The equipmemt I going to get is a fluval 88g co2 kit, fluval soil, eheim 2215 and led lighting. I also have a RO system but I am not sure do I really need it? I was told tap water is ok but some say RO water. I really need advise for it please. My local water is 7.6-8ph, gh is 7. Fish i going to get is some cardinal tetra, german blue rams, denison barb and maybe a pair of discus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 02:27 AM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Your local water sounds pretty good given the gh and ph. Don't see a need for the ro unit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 03:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I believe rams prefer the water a tad softer than that... but most fish should do fine in that, as it is pretty "middle of the road" water.

I'd also reconsider your fish selections in general, as there's some incompatibility issues here.

Tank size:

Dennison/torpedo barbs like to be in large groups and are pretty big fish, for a schooling fish, when full grown (4 1/2" or so). A bare minimum group of 5 will take up 80% of your stock space. Add a bare minimum flock of 5 cardinal tetras and you're 97%. And really, stocking only 5 of either breed isn't suggested, they'd do better with more than that. These barbs generally do better in larger tanks.

Discus generally belong in large, lightly stocked tanks, as they are very sensitive to water quality. They get very big (8"), and don't really belong in a 45 gallon at all.

Rams are also water quality sensitive, but being smaller fish (2") you can keep pairs in lightly stocked moderate sized tanks. Again, lightly stocked. Don't try to stick a pair in an heavily stocked tank unless you're looking to do a LOT of tank maintenance to keep the water quality up.

Temperature:
Barbs also generally prefer cool water, rams and cardinals warmish water, and discus very warm.

In particular, barbs and discus just don't have overlapping temperature ranges, even when stressing both too their limits. The tank is going to be way too hot for the barbs, or way too cold for the discus.

There aren't many fish that like the discus temperature range, so you have to pick tankmates for them a bit carefully.

Difficulty:

I don't know that I'd suggest GBR or discus as a "starter" fish.. both are sensitive breeds. Some consider GBRs good beginner fish, but I'm not sure that's good advice...

At the very least, make sure your tank is well established before adding the GBRs..

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I am newbie with plants but i been keep rams, discus and cardinal for a long time ago before. I am just doesnt have any experience with plants as I m not a big fan of plants before lol. But true denison barb are not really going to do well in this setup.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode