Ceramic rings not holding bacteria. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ceramic rings not holding bacteria.

My question is should I change the type of bio media I use?

So I have a 150 gallon aquarium that I'm running a refugium style filter on. I seeded this aquarium with ceramic rings from my 75 gallon that I've had running for almost 4 years. But even with the seeded bio media, I still saw readings of ammonia and nitrites for the first month.

It wasn't until I put a established filter pad for the marineland HOB filter from the same tank into the sump did I see zero ammonia and nitrites. This week I had to change all of the filter floss because it was getting clogged and I also removed the filter pad due to snails that had stowed away inside from the other tank. Thinking that it would fine because I still had 6, 4x6 inch bags full of bio rings that I thought would have been established enough to run the tank on its own.

I randomly decided to do a parameter testing yesterday, a few days after changing the filter floss. And I had a 3.0ppm ammonia reading. So I immediately did a 75% water change. Did another reading today and I didn't have any ammonia readings but I am showing 2.0ppm nitrite reading and about 20ppm for nitrates. Should I be concerned? If this bio media doesn't work like everyone raves. Should I try pot scrubs? it's got larger holes then filter floss and I should be able to rinse them fairly easily.

Has anyone else had this kind of experience with this media? Can anyone recommend any better bio media?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 10:12 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
It really depends on what type of ceramic rings you have. If they have a smooth finish on them, then likely they are not intended as bio media. Typically the smooth ceramic is used as a course filter, prior to a course sponge filter.

If your ceramic has a rough texture then it likely was intended as bio media.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 10:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
I use lava rock. Home Depot $4 a 22lb bag.
Some will say it's great and some will not.

When cleaning the filter I shake them in tank water from a water change.

Growing is not that difficult.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The seeded bio rings where fluval rings plus a new box that I added to it. Then the six bags are from an eBay seller :/ I guess I'll go check them now to see if their smooth or not. Thanks! I may have to look into the lava rock! Those didn't even cross my mind!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 10:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Please show a picture of your filter. I use the Fluval Pre-filter ceramic six sided pieces
and they are not smoth. Not a very coarse feel either.
One should have a prefilter before them that keeps the detrius/mulm etc off the
bio-media. The bio-media works best when you never touch it ergo the filter before the filter to keep the bio-media clean. This is a picture of one of my filters just after setting it up. I keep extremely low bio loads so dirt on the media doesn't hurt as the bottom is still clean. So there is no pad/sponge/screen etc for a prefilter in mine.
This shows both the Fluval ceramic that I use and the Bio Bale bio-media from the bay
which I tried and found to work well. It is intended for a canister filter.
Guess I should add that the water comes in on the bottom left and goes down through the bio Bale first.

Then another very good bio-media is Matrix and that one is not very expensive.
In my other tank I also built in the filter and use the Bio Bale on top of Matrix in that one.
I will say this about the whole issue. I had lots of RCS in that tank pictured. The colony grew in there so the bio-media had plenty of time to adapt.
One day there was some java moss pieces in the top of the bio Bale which had gotten in over a period of time and lots of small pieces of trimmings. So I took out about 25% off the top and rinsed it well and took out the trash from it. But then someone called me and I had to go for a while so I forgot to replace the media which I took out.
The next morning most of my RCS were dead on the bottom of the tank.
Mostly saying that IF you have a heavy bio-load and especially if it's over 100% according to the Aqadvisor...any bio-media will do this if tampered/w as the filter is
using all available space for bio bacteria.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 01:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
PVC millings are also great.
I see that you use them RaymondS.

I would set up the drill press and go to town on scrap pieces of pipe.
Used those in marine tanks years ago, lot of surface area.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 01:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Apparently someone got the idea to make them intentionally for this purpose as these are one continuos thread of them. As you likely know but others may not understand...
the milling process causes the milling bit to drag across the surface of whatever it is
milling thus creating thousands of cracks in the surface of the part being pealed off.
These make excellent places for the bacteria to colonize. They are NOT smooth.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I would post a picture but for some reason every time I try add a picture with my phone the web page either crashes or it tells me a problem ocurred and reloaded. I'll just have to describe it.

It have three chambers with two baffles. The first chamber has the seeded media with the filter floss. The baffled that followed used to have carbon but I took it out because of the EI dosing. Second chamber has the refugium that I don't currently have anything living in but has wisteria and watersprite. The second baffled has the eBay bought ceramic rings with filter floss over top to reduce splashing and keep the plants out. The third has my co2 mixer with my pump facing away so that I have zero micro bubbles.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode