Combining Seachem ferts - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Combining Seachem ferts

I have been scrubbing through posts online from Seachem regarding usage of their ferts. My goal is to combine as many of them in one bottle as possible for convenience and to figure out a daily dosage amount vs the twice weekly they have on their recommended schedule which is ridiculously complicated. I can't find any reason I cannot combine these (assuming in proper ratio's for Seachem's regimen, EI, PPMD, etc... whichever I choose):

Bottle #1
Seachem Nitrogen
Seachem Potassium
Seachem Flourish (Comprehensive)
Seachem Flourish Trace (possibly in place of Flourish Comp since adding macros)

Bottle #2
Seachem Phosphorus

Bottle #3
Seachem Iron

Regardless of dosing method (PPMD, EI, Seachem) I would dose all the above 6 or 7 days per week. I plan to sum Seachem's twice weekly amounts and then divide by 6 or 7 to get a daily dose.

The only precautions I found from various old Seachem posts are (1) to not mix Iron and Phosphorus with other things to avoid precipitates and (2) they say Seachem Flourish can cause algae if used more than twice a week.

It's (2) that I totally do not get. Say I plan to dose my tank 2ml per week of Flourish (per their calculator for my tank). Why would it cause algae if I dose the 2ml in .33ml equal installments over 6 days vs 1ml each on 2 days of the week?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 11:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You can combine nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus in one bottle but you would not mix comprehensive or iron in that bottle. Comprehensive is just micros, same as Plantex csm+b so it should be on it's own. Without knowing SeaChem's exact compounds you may need to separate the phosphorous and you definitely need to dose macros one day and micros the next or they will precipitate out.

I would get dry ferts if I were you. To dose at EI levels you need to dose about 6 times the bottles recommended dose, so that will be real expensive.

If you have low to medium light and no co2 then you do not need most of those on a regular basis. You may get enough from feeding and water changes with the exception of potassium. Medium to higher light you need excel and a full fertilizer routine, co2 injection is needed for higher than medium light.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I use excel daily to recommended dose, very heavily planted, and a Finnex Planted Plus 30" (20gL). I'm probably not going to do EI as I don't like the waste of chems nor do I plan to have CO2.

I may get dry chems at some point but I have lots of Flourish products I want to use up first. In addition, the dry chems don't appear cheaper, you have to buy a scale, bottles, and then the tins of them, especially the upgrade products, don't seem that much cheaper than Seachem products.

I agree I have to size down doses if I am not doing CO2 injection or the overload method of EI. To me none of that matters, it just means a smaller daily dose. My goal is to provide nutrients daily in the correct correct amount for a daily dose. The part I don't understand is why 2ml Seachem Flourish dosed twice weekly @1ml would not cause algae but .3ml dosed every day would cause it. That's what Seachem appears to claim. Waiting on a response from them but thought someone here might know.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 01:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
the dry chems don't appear cheaper, you have to buy a scale, bottles,
Actually the dry salts are MUCH cheaper, and you don't need scales OR bottles, just some 1/8 & 1/4 tsp measuring spoons, unless you have a large (100gal) tank then you'd need 1 tsp & 1 tbs spoons. You can dump the dry ferts straight into the tank.

For $11 you can get everything you need (N,P,K & CSM+B) from this member, I have a 40b and a pound of everything lasts about 1 year, defiantly cheaper.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=898001

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Good link, thank you!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode