Our Local Water~~~~~~~~ - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
Our Local Water~~~~~~~~

Over and over I will go off on our local water....We live in a historic area and our city pipes are old and are constantly being repaired.
God knows..what they flood our lines with after a repair. It is so bad that the smaller tanks I have gone to LFS RO water. Ok that said I have 2 large Goldfish tanks 60 & 55. Each get 80% change each week. A must!!!
Today I have drained one and refilled out of the tap as normal. I started looking at the water as it mixes with tank water and it is like milk!!!!!
Been keeping fish tanks since the early 1970's, this is getting very frustrating.
What can cause such an event????
The fish seem to be acting normal, tap tests are what they should be.
You can see what looks like white swirling of the water......
I added a bag of carbon to try and catch anything that is floating.

Sorry to sound so frustrated but a I AM

Karen / Cocobid

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~~~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

55 & 60 Cube, Eheim 2028's~~30 Cube--RAOK~~ 4 & 5 & 20 Planted Eheim 2026, 14T ECCO
Beyond that...just gave up counting vessels
2232~~Eheim Pimp Club#261
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 05:36 PM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Sometimes that happens. It can either be microbubbles from all of the chlorine that they add, or, if you taste it, and it tastes like wet wood or something, it might not be chlorine. I'm assuming that there isn't a boil water advisory, but if there is, don't taste it like I said lol.

-Chris

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No, no boiled water alert. There is a fire plug a few doors down and frequently you will see a shiny silver canister attached to it pumping something into the lines.
Micro-bubbles is a accurate description of what I'm seeing. If space were not an issue I would set up a large RO filter somewhere.
I hated to power up the filters on that tank but I had to. Tomorrow will start adding Cycle. A few months back something like this happened and wiped out a shrimp tank and crashed our filters on all the tanks.
Thank You!!!!!

Karen / Cocobid

~~~

55 & 60 Cube, Eheim 2028's~~30 Cube--RAOK~~ 4 & 5 & 20 Planted Eheim 2026, 14T ECCO

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 07:09 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
+1 on the Microbubbles.

I used a drinking fountain once that looked like Milk from all the bubbles.

Sometimes its not caused by the water. The rest of the fountains in the building were crystal clear.

I also have some sinks in my house that have the milk look to them and some that are crystal clear. I even have a bathroom that has 2 sinks, one comes out clear, one has a ton of microbubbles.

Try filling up a garbage can with water a day or so before your water changes and try that instead of pouring directly from the sink.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 07:11 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clwatkins10 View Post
I'm assuming that there isn't a boil water advisory, but if there is, don't taste it like I said lol.
+++1 on not drinking water during a boil alert
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 07:14 PM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral View Post
+++1 on not drinking water during a boil alert
HAHA.

I have drank from a water fountain that had milky looking water from it too. And it tasted like a wet pop sickle stick, which is why I mentioned wet wood lol.

-Chris

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 07:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
I had this problem a couple of times when I was refilling my tank with a python from a particular faucet. I got worried, thinking that something was in there and went back to buckets. I replaced that faucet in the last two years and our water is soft so it shouldn't be calcium build up or anything like that. The micro bubble explanation mentioned above makes sense. If you see it again, fill a bucket and let it sit for a few minutes.

Eheim Pimp #381
Raleigh Aquarium Society Member
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 09:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to bradac56 Send a message via MSN to bradac56 Send a message via Yahoo to bradac56 Send a message via Skype™ to bradac56
I use a 120gal pre-mix container that I fill and let set 24 hours to age before I change my water so it out-gases and de-chlorinates on it's own. Sometimes the old methods are still valid.

- Brad

Proud member of the
and the

VICTOR PIMP #58 -
VTS-253A-320 x2, VTS-253D-320, VTS-253A-1993-320.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm actually looking into buying a barrel to hold water and letting it sit. The level of not knowing is beginning to wear on me.
With the 20G I put a 10G tub in the bath tub fill and let it sit overnight and then fill, no issues. These two tanks will need roughly 80G for water changes. I guess we could break it up into a 2 day thing.

Brad what do you use to hold your water???

Karen / Cocobid

~~~

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 12:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to bradac56 Send a message via MSN to bradac56 Send a message via Yahoo to bradac56 Send a message via Skype™ to bradac56
I have a model WST-165G : [ http://www.jehmco.com/html/water_storage_tanks.html#WST ] tho I only fill 100gal of it then I mix whatever I need for the tanks I'm working on. They have a large intake at the top and a bulkhead at the bottom. I'd add a couple more bulkheads for heaters in the middle of the tank so you can heat it to your desired temp while it sets overnight. I found that to be less of a stress on the fish/invertebrates that dumping cold water on them plus it's allot easier on me.

Tho before you call for pricing make sure your setting down and are ready for the sticker shock. A large pre-mix tank and a linear piston air pump is worth there weights in gold over the long haul in my opinion.

- Brad

Proud member of the
and the

VICTOR PIMP #58 -
VTS-253A-320 x2, VTS-253D-320, VTS-253A-1993-320.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Decision is made, we are going to set up a carbon filtration system. Only a few on the shrimp tanks need RO, the rest are fine in our water just with some of the junk removed. Had a long chat with the owner of a LFS took me to look at her system and suggested a carbon and prefilter system. She said that would get the stuff out of our water. She deals with the same issues I'm having all the time. There is even a company that leases systems around here and they are really reasonable. That is not the direction we will take but never the less interesting.
So I think we will find a slender container and place it in our pantry and pull water off the washer connection. Insert a pump & heater and float water control valve in a storage barrel and we think that will fix 99% of the problems around here. The RO water that we need each week is less than 5G, but freshwater for the tanks in something like 120G. These is no waste water in the making with fresh carbon.
Well now all we need is any technical advise that anyone has to offer. I have absolute zero knowledge of these systems.
I like the fact that this path would not strip our water of all of the good stuff but still help the fish and stop filling my bio-bugs. Yesterday was a sad day I lost a fish and almost a second. So immediate actions are needed to correct our water.

Any system suggestions are really really appreciated.
TY Karen

Karen / Cocobid

~~~

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 02:39 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I bought my filter off of the filter guys and they walked me through everything I needed. I was impressed by their customer service.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode