anyone use brightwell aquatics florinaxis? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to paulrw
anyone use brightwell aquatics florinaxis?

sorry i know this questions been asked before, but not really been answered .so my questions stands ,has anyone been using it and do they have any insight to the product and if anyone knows more about the Krebs cycle and can explain it in more layman's terms .from what I've read its using citric acid to aid in the break down of proteins and fat into usable carbon is this close or am i not seeing the big picture. as always any help is greatly appreciated

thanks in advance,
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 09:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Oddly there is no MSDS online for florinaxis.

Kreb's cycle animation.
http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/site...__quiz_1_.html
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

dbosman; thanks for the info the animation about the Krebs cycle was great very informative thank you!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 05:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrw View Post
dbosman; thanks for the info the animation about the Krebs cycle was great very informative thank you!

The product does little for plants however(they use the Kreb's as well, like us, to produce energy from the sugars they fix). We are interested in the Calvin cycle. Growth etc, fixing of Carbon, production of sugars(like glucose).

Krebs is not going to be improved upon much by adding concoctions for enhanced plant growth.

think about it, what is the Krebs cycle using ? Sugar to burn for energy.......enhancing that rate of production is going to be tough without some cost and trade offs, and the plant will self regulate it anyway at the end of the day.

You could add table sugar and make this same claim, or any number of the intermediates, but the rate limiting step will still be something else downstream unless the entire cycle is enhanced at each step.
So adding more mitrochondria per cells, higher rate of metabolism etc would increase the rate of growth(the factor that plants are concerned with). Growth is much more about fixing Carbon than burning it, plant's metabolic rates are much slower than say critters that move around and do not fix carbon. So this will not improve the rates of growth of plants, only help them burn there fuel faster really.

I could suggest that this product could deplete the Carbon supply in plants and thus increase the CO2 demand, making it harder to keep up with nutrients/CO2 etc.

Sounds fishy to me and more a marketing ploy vs any real useful thing aquarist could use, on the other hand, like any high grade snake oil, it will not hurt the plants, fish etc either

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Mr. Barr; in my humble opinion i believe there is no sugar in the product it's citric acid and a few other acids that is used .honestly I'm not sure why it aids in the Krebs cycle but i believe that the cycle makes sense and if it creates carbon in many places during the cycle it's more than likely more beneficial to plants than co2 but i also believe that in the overall scheme of things plants were created to aid in the breakdown of humans waste so maybe its our co2 waste during respiration that plants use most efficiently i don't know and I'm probably drunk either way thanks for your response
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 08:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrw View Post
Mr. Barr; in my humble opinion i believe there is no sugar in the product it's citric acid and a few other acids that is used .honestly I'm not sure why it aids in the Krebs cycle but i believe that the cycle makes sense and if it creates carbon in many places during the cycle it's more than likely more beneficial to plants than co2 but i also believe that in the overall scheme of things plants were created to aid in the breakdown of humans waste so maybe its our co2 waste during respiration that plants use most efficiently i don't know and I'm probably drunk either way thanks for your response
Drink mine, I'm a non Drinker

Roger Miller and I years ago discussed adding sucrose, sugar to add more bacterial food that would produce more CO2, the idea was a carbon lean system in newer aquariums, but plants leach this sugar out, as well as exude lots of citric acid, particularly in their roots.

The concentration in the product is not likely to be of any significant aid to plants in this respect, more for marketing vs actually helping.

Seems to work too(marketing....... that is)

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Mr.Barr; i see what your saying about the sugar and acid, like a jump start for newer aquariums. the clerk at my lfs goes "ya its just like excel only cheaper" so shiny package= impulse buy (good marketing) until i get home and do a little research and some good info from you and dbosman presto chango its nothing like excel!thanks again fish store guy you've put me on the right track yet again i.e. "no man thats as big as Oscars get he would make a good community tank addition very friendly and good with cardinal tetras" haha i actually heard a dude a petsmart say that! so thanks for the great info everyone I'm stuck with the bottle and i have been dosing for about 2 weeks now and no adverse effects and i don't have any algae yet so it must be the greatest product ever right? RIGHT! hahaha

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode