Confused - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Confused

I didnt want to make this post but I have to. I have downloaded Chucks fert calculator. I will admit I am math challenged. Basically I have a learning disability when it comes to math. I have been trying to figure out how to dose using the EI method. I made an order of dry ferts and I am having a difficult time figuring out how to do this properly. Using Chucks calculator has even confused me more. I have read that a 100gal takes 1/2tbsp of csm+b per daily dose? I have done some reading and I still am having a hard time. I have all the basic ferts. I have a lightly planted tank with swords, vals, anacharis, red ludwigia and bocopa. I switched to a more biotopish tank from my previous set up. These are not light demanding nor are they co2 demanding plants from what I have read. I have pres. co2. I just used all of my pfertz and now its time to figure this all out. I have a 180 gal tank maybe about 150gal after driftwood, rock and silica sand substrate. I have root tabs for the swords and vals. But I know that I will need some colum ferts for good growth on the rest and to help the vals and swords. I am having the worst time feeling comfortable with dry ferts. can I get some help here.

Lighting:
Geissman aqua flora 2x 54w t5ho
hagen life glo 2x 54w t5ho
4x30w 10k
other details:
pres. Co2
ferts I have:
calcium chloride(ordered it accidentally)
mono pot phos
pot nitrate
csm+b
chel fe
k2so4
With the lighting I have and using the pres co2 what should I do? Im not going to aim for 30ppm with the plants I have for co2, or do I? I have used some of the dry ferts. like the k2so4 because I linked that with a deficiancy. I have searched and read and it only confuses me further. If you want to know how to weld and understand metal...Im your man but this fert thing has me lost. I have a gram scale and measuring spoons. Please give a guy some help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 07:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
It's daunting at first, but really not that complicated. Go for 30ppm co2, your plants will thank you. As for ferts, read Wolfy's sticky atop this sub-forum. You have a 100g tank? Double the 40-60 regime, and stay on the lean end since you are planted light and most aren't nutrient hogs.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

daunting yes! its a 180. I have already fallen a victim to staghorn...I have discus and it seems staghorn comes from poor water quality? I was at the time doing 3 wc's per week of 80-90%. Cleaning canisters and replacing filter pads 1 time a month. I found out that my co2 was off and have since figured that out. At least I think I figured it out. I dont want to fall victim to algae probs. Thats why I want all the help I can get. I read the sub forum post and I still was unsure of how to go about this fert stuff. But I think if I just x3 the 40-60 gal dosing it should work? thanks

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 07:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
Yep.

Staghorn is low co2 or poor water quality (immature biofilter) in my experience.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thats what I read...so my co2 was the culprit. I dont have a huge bioload and the tank is and was matured being 7-9months old at the time
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 08:09 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Wow, 80% wcs 3 times per week on a 180! Wow!
So are you from montana, or kentucky?
Or do you just have a mullet?

-Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ha hA! From montana but it may as well be kentucky. Some back wood folk round here Never had a mullet or a rat tail... been shaving my head for 18 years...no I am not a white supremest! im a 31 yr old kid!

Im gonna figure this out to grams once I get tsp doses correct. my scale will do all this for me once I get it fingered out! I knew my scale would come in handy one of these days its 50-60% almost daily now. Damn discus. Now how is this going to affect my dosing since i am taking out most of my ferts on a daily basis?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

If I didnt have good well water I think I would kill myself
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I measured this all out on my scale:
so heres what I fingered out for my tank dosed as a 150:
sun-kno3/10g-kh2po4/9g-k2so4/13g
mon-30ml trace, 6ml fe
tues-see sun. should tues be half dose
wed-see mon. should wed be half dose
thurs-see sun. etc
fri-see mon. etc
sat-drink beer..and wc
sun- see last sun
I used the tsp/tbs measurements and dumped them on my gram scale. After wc's should I double up on dosing since I just took out 1/2 my ferts?

or after a wc should I add a 1/2 dose of ferts on the day I should add a full dose when I do a wc?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode