Co2 drop checker color never changes - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Co2 drop checker color never changes

My 55g has been running for 2 weeks now. 4 days with the co2 system. Currently set at 1bps at 22psi. Fluval drop checker with the Fluval solution. It started blue and after a few hours turned green and has remained there. I turn the co2 on 1hr before the light and off 1 hour before the light turns off.

My drop checker never changed though ever since it went green. Day, night, morning it's always green. Shouldn't it turn back to blue over the night? I moved it so it's in better flowing area but didn't help. Fish are fine. Dosing seachem ferts right now but just ordered all the EI ferts from green leaf aquariums to start that.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 05:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Which water are you using in the drop checker?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 12:18 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dont know much about Co2 yet but just taking a guess, maybe try turning off the Co2 when the lights are on ( like more than 1hr), see if it goes blue then.

My tank journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 01:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Honestly I just threw my drop checker back in my tank and it is always yellow/green. I run a pH controller and get large swings in pH from surface agitation / the CO2 gassing off after the lights go out. The thing is still green in the morning.

On a side note 1bps in a 55g is a very small amount of CO2. How much surface agitation is on your tank?

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 01:31 PM
Algae Grower

Take him out of water and should by blue in 2 hours,in tank during off gassing period he never get (mostly) blue he'll need lot more time.In 55 gallon tank you'll need more bps to get yellow/green.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 01:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Drop checkers

Drop checkers will seldom read accurately. There usually behind , in whatever your ph actually is. I have purchased the best money could buy , tried them in different places in the tank. They never read accurate for me. And 1 bps will do absolutely nothing for a 55 gallon tank. I have mine going into my 60 gallon so fast , I cant even count the bubbles. I am using a ph controller and a co2 reactor. I get a 1.0 drop in ph and it holds steady all day. If you can , get a ph controller. The drop checker will drive you insane.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 02:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick dale View Post
Drop checkers will seldom read accurately. There usually behind , in whatever your ph actually is. I have purchased the best money could buy , tried them in different places in the tank. They never read accurate for me. And 1 bps will do absolutely nothing for a 55 gallon tank. I have mine going into my 60 gallon so fast , I cant even count the bubbles. I am using a ph controller and a co2 reactor. I get a 1.0 drop in ph and it holds steady all day. If you can , get a ph controller. The drop checker will drive you insane.
+1 to this entire post

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I was using just an in tank diffusior, but just finished building a reactor that will go inline with one of my Fluval 306 canisters. I will install it tonight or tomorrow.

Ill look into a PH controller. Any suggestions on a good one?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode