question regarding plant health (pics) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
question regarding plant health (pics)

gotta question about the condition of my plants... I've had the tank up for about 3 month. I've noticed that the leaves tend to get a bunch of lines on them as if they were creased. I originally thought that this was caused by getting them shipped to me but I've noticed some of the new growth is having same problem.

I'm uncertain whether its a nutrient defficency or if its normal... below are a couple pics..

tank details
29gal
36watt fixture
diy co2 (for the past 3 weeks)
hob filter
EI style nutrients (dry)
PH was around 7.8 last time it was tested which was prior to using diy co2 at around 1-2bps.
live stock, 3 cherry barbs, 3 leopard danios, 2 octocinclus, 1 chinese algae eater, male betta

I hope I can get this fixed prior to loosing too much of the new growth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If you always assume any plant growth problems are because you don't have enough or consistent enough CO2, you will be right a lot more times than you will be wrong. Carbon is the primary building block for plants, so CO2 is the primary need they have to grow well. DIY CO2 is unlikely to give you either enough or consistent enough CO2 for a 29 gallon tank, unless you use multiple bottles, with staggered change times. And, 1-2 bubbles per second isn't likely to be enough for the light you have.

I'm assuming the 36 watt light is an AH Supply light kit. If so, you likely have high light intensity in the center of the tank, but the short bulb is likely to cause the intensity to be much lower at the ends of the tank.

Hoppy
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
The light is a thin coralife fixture with plant light spectrum. The bulbs are close to one another so you may be right.

also with the CO2 I plan on adding a second bottle.. I'm hoping that its the CO2 that is causing the bruising of the leaves.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode