Water change temperature - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Water change temperature

I just did a 1/3 water change and it actually raised my tank temperature up over 1 degree (here is the log from my apex jr):
Time Date Temp (F)
16:40 08/14/2015 78.3
16:50 08/14/2015 79.5

Normally my controller has been keeping it between 78 and 78.5 without skipping a beat.

I used to have a heater in my RO/DI water before I moved (I was running saltwater before). I am not running RO/DI anymore so it came straight from the tap. I have to remember to do water changes in the mornings now that I live in Florida.

It was very hot today. But I should have remembered this from when I filled the tank originally and it was around the same temp.

Bump: ETA: I don't have a chiller and shouldn't need one with the A/C and LED's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 10:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
No scientist here but I don't think up is near as bad as down.
I put my water change water on top of the refrigerator because it's the warmest place in the house. I set my heater to 75F and the tank stays at 76/77/78 by it's self in the summer. I do close to 60% WC and never have checked the temp of the change water.
But then I do native fish/shrimp so they are less sensitive.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I was just thinking that I should set my water temp lower in my tank. Given the temperatures of the house it will probably stay warmer anyway. I am used to saltwater and have been reading that low 70's are fine for most fish and plants (not planning on having discus). I think I will start with 75 or lower and see what the temperature stays at.

ETA: I decided to set it for 74 (well 74 on and 74.5 off). I'll see what happens.

Last edited by Maverick2015; 08-14-2015 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Add

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 11:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
IMO not a big deal.

I just feel out the water when I am filling the barrel (before going in the tank) and I am always pretty close. Fish don't seem to care a 1 degree swing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yeah, I was just thinking that if I lower the temperature in the tank, how much of a swing will there be if I do a water change then.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 12:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Water temp swings of up to 4-5 degrees F, up or down during water changes, should not produce any significant discomfort for most fish species, and is therefore of little concern.

Having said that, there's really no problem ensuring mixed hot/cold tap water for wcs to be within around 1 or 2 degrees F from tank water.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode