Just out of curiosity...What deficiency? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just out of curiosity...What deficiency?

What deficiency is this? I am starting to see stunted growth on some of my plants. I made a mistake and I was dosing EI for 10-20 gallon tank on a 29 gallon tank. I am 90% confident I have enough CO2 because the tank water has a 6.4ph-ish and degassed it is 7.8. Drop checker shows light-green to yellow.

I am changing my dosing to the full EI so that should take care of any deficiencies and if I still have this problem, then it is caused by a lack of CO2. I am just asking because I am curious.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150812_175204.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	506218  

Last edited by FishFan13; 08-13-2015 at 07:21 PM. Reason: title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

No ideas?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 01:02 PM
Planted Member

I don't think the difference is that large that you would see much of a deficiency, at least not for quite a while. EI doses at 3+ times what the plants can use in one day, so even if you dosed at 1/2 the level, you should not see deficiencies
Up the dosage to the 29g rate, and keep an eye on it.

Yellow drop checker indicates higher levels of CO2, I think raising it would be detrimental.

What in that pic makes you think you have a deficiency? IMHO I don't see any obvious signs of a deficiency from that pic.

40 breeder - 1.25" Dirt/1.25" Black Diamond cap - Pressurized CO2 (2.25bps) - 2x54watt T5HO and 42watt LED (total 150watts; 14,500 lumens) - EI dosing - 50% weekly WC - H.O.T. Magnum 250 canister - SunSun 530 gph pump - Set-up 7-14-2015 - Cycled 8-1-2015

"Whatever is inconsistent with the facts,
no matter of how fond of it we are,
MUST be discarded or revised." - Carl Sagan

Last edited by MJB13; 08-14-2015 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Mind your own business!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The new growth is very small and deformed. It looks like someone took the leaf, shrunk it and crushed it in their hand. I was thinking it was a nutrient deficiency because the leaves didn't get gradually smaller like co2 but there were normal leaves and then these.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 12:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
How is your flow. When I have these issues it's almost always water flow. Are those leaves in a dead flow area?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I am pretty sure they are receiving flow. I have circular flow where the water comes across the top, down the side were these plants are and then across the bottom. Here is a full tank picture. The spray bar and intake are on the left, the plant from earlier is on the far right. Some of my other plants were showing signs of this but this one was the easiest to see.

I did a major trim to get rid of the deformed growth, took out some plants, and added new ones so my tank isn't looking it's best.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150815_100542.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	506634  

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 04:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

Is it just the AR? Do you use root tabs? Mine gets like this when I need to replace root tabs too. For some reason AR shows the need quickly in crinkled leaves

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I just added root tabs because I think the dirt has seen better days. The "needle leaf ludwigia" (I think they labeled it wrong so I have no idea what it is) is showing some signs of it too.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 02:45 PM
Planted Member

I have this happen periodically to AR, even stems with fairly new Osmocote+ tabs under them. Wish I knew what caused it - I'll see it in some stems and not others that are inches away and have good flow and CO2. Just last week it happened overnight after I used some 10-year old CSM+B (not a big dose either, I just wanted some to be in there for the last day before the W/C.) I won't be using that old batch again... I get the same effect in Ludwigia Glandulosa too, the latest time was after topping and replanting. AR did this recently after a water change too, so maybe it's some kind of shock? I know water changes shouldn't have this effect, but lots of people have it happen from time to time with this plant. It's easy to rule out everything else other than CO2, but I even have it happen when CO2 is just under "fish gasping" levels and 1.2-1.4 pH drop with repeated measurements.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 02:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclaar877 View Post
I have this happen periodically to AR, even stems with fairly new Osmocote+ tabs under them. Wish I knew what caused it - I'll see it in some stems and not others that are inches away and have good flow and CO2. Just last week it happened overnight after I used some 10-year old CSM+B (not a big dose either, I just wanted some to be in there for the last day before the W/C.) I won't be using that old batch again... I get the same effect in Ludwigia Glandulosa too, the latest time was after topping and replanting. AR did this recently after a water change too, so maybe it's some kind of shock? I know water changes shouldn't have this effect, but lots of people have it happen from time to time with this plant. It's easy to rule out everything else other than CO2, but I even have it happen when CO2 is just under "fish gasping" levels and 1.2-1.4 pH drop with repeated measurements.
I was kinda thinking shock too on the AR and now that you mention it, Glandulosa. I have been rescaping a lot lately, and both plants have been doing this in my tank. I do recall when AR is left and settled for at least a month I rarely see this show up.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode