CO2... and a weird slime... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Opae Ula Crazed.

PTrader: (3/100%)
CO2... and a weird slime...

Hi gang,

About a week ago I set up a "Hagen CO2 Natural Plant System" on my 29 gallon planted tank. It's been working great! Bubbling it's little head off, traveling up the cool ladder gizmo like there's no tomorrow. Everything going swimmingly until I turned on the aquariums lights this morning...

From out of nowhere an odd cloudy/white "scum" showed up on the bottom "rung" of the ladder, blocking the bubbles there until they get large enough to force their way through. The substance looks a bit like slug slime.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this odd situation with their co2 diffusers or "ladders". Anyone here have any idea what this might be? Could it be a colony of anaerobic bacteria setting up house?

It's all a bit alarming, and very intriguing! Guess I'll try to siphon it off when I get the chance this afternoon.

Thanks for any information!
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 03:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Is anything able to 'burp' out of your reaction bottle into the tank?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Opae Ula Crazed.

I checked, and saw that the airline from the reaction bottle is clean...

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 04:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Got to be some sort of fungus but I have no clue what sorry.

2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Opae Ula Crazed.

Thanks... I'll do what I can to clean it off later today.

(The tank has been set up less than 2 weeks if that makes a difference.)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 05:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

its natural with diy co2 all my hoses are clean but my venturi needs to be poked out with a pipe cleaner once in a while due to white slime build up... i think its yeast building up. nothing bad.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 11:08 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I wasn't planning on posting since I am really busy today, but since I love feeding intrigued minds, I might as well. Here is my theory:

As you know, yeast ferment sugar to CO2 and ethanol. In a perfect world, the ethanol would stay in solution and the CO2 would bubble out, but ethanol has a vapour pressure.
As such, the CH3CH2OH bubbles out with the CO2. The slime is likely some aerobic bacteria that have set up shop at the source of the ethanol. They will gleam energy by oxidizing it to acetate and then burn that or build membranes or whatever.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Opae Ula Crazed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesQuall View Post
I wasn't planning on posting since I am really busy today, but since I love feeding intrigued minds, I might as well. Here is my theory:

As you know, yeast ferment sugar to CO2 and ethanol. In a perfect world, the ethanol would stay in solution and the CO2 would bubble out, but ethanol has a vapour pressure.
As such, the CH3CH2OH bubbles out with the CO2. The slime is likely some aerobic bacteria that have set up shop at the source of the ethanol. They will gleam energy by oxidizing it to acetate and then burn that or build membranes or whatever.
Oh... so opposite my theory of anaerobic bacteria! LOL!

PS: Suddenly noticing green algae on the glass of the aquarium... Hope the Oto's can keep up with it! Though I did put some Seachem Flourish Excel in the tank for the first time today. Read somewhere that algae can't survive the stuff. Any comments on that?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 01:47 PM
FSM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
If you pour the excel right on the algae, it is supposed to kill it. I think mostly that is used on BBA.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Opae Ula Crazed.

Feeling a bit of a dork here, but what is BBA? I've seen in mentioned in many places in this forum...

As for the algae... I'm thinking about an extra water change this afternoon if the heat (record highs here in Western Washington State) doesn't kill me! Gonna scrub the glass extra good... (Don't have any idea how to get it off the leaves of the plants, though...)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 04:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Use care with the excel! Some plants such as micro and chain swords (val family) melt at double dose rates. Example; I have a 75g tank that holds 64 actual gallons filled. Based on the recommended starting dose, double that amount will kill several type of plants. Do a search and you'll find a list members have put comments on regarding issues they've had. or go to section on algae its a sticky thread.

BBA = black brush algae

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode