An unusual question, I admit... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
An unusual question, I admit...

Dear all,

I'm new here and came looking for input form more experienced folks on a question that's a bit too abstruse for the usual web searches. What I'm interested in are things that might cause fish (domestic or wild, either way) to (1) lay eggs that were (2) sterile. I've found plenty of resources out there describe infertility in fish such that they never lay eggs at all, but I'm really looking for conditions that would cause them to lay eggs that simply never have any hope of hatching into new fish, even under ideal conditions. I realize what I'm describing may not happen, and I certainly don't want to MAKE it happen to any fish, but the information itself would be useful for some research that I'm doing. Many thanks in advance.

M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 07:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have heard of bettas being kept in sorority (female-only) tanks laying infertile eggs after being courted and "mated" by another female...

Click here to see my dragons ->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 08:57 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
well, you need a male and female to make the magic happen.
They need to be fed well, and certain environmental factors have to be met for them to get in the mood.

The females then lay the eggs and the males will fertilize them. There is no internal fertilization except in cases of guppies, platies and the like. All egg scatterers lay infertile eggs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Right, sure. Without males, they'd remain unfertilized. What I meant to ask was about conditions in which the eggs would come out sterile. That is, eggs are laid, the males can get at them, but the eggs themselves are damaged or defective because of [exposure to chemical X/defective gene Y/irradiation/etc. etc.] and the males fertilizing them won't lead to anything. (Maybe 'trying to fertilize them' if hairs have to be split there.) So it's a really odd sort of result that I'm imagining. Just wondering if it rings any bells.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode