Surface film *help please* - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Surface film *help please*

I am having trouble with my newly established tank getting a film on top of it.

The film is milky white. The outflow of my filter only breaks it up into a foam directly in front of it. The rest of the tank gets a pretty thick layer of it. The film can be removed with an up-side-down siphon, but will return within a day.

The film is a protein/organic/bacterial film of some sort although I am not sure exactly what is causing it. It is a 21 g tank which is currently inhabited by 7 otocinclus, and 10 red nosed shrimp and is lightly planted.

I am only dosing flourish right now although I am going to pressurized CO2 and EI dosing shortly.

I have looked online for help, but I have found the only solutions are to feed less. I am currently only feeding the tank 1/2 an algae wafer or a small pinch of fish flakes every 1-2 days.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 06:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
What does your water change schedule look like? I had this problem once a long time ago when I rarely did water changes. My guess is that there is a lot of stuff in the water column that needs to be pulled out which is why the film comes back so soon.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

50% weekly water changes with 80% distilled water 20% tap water with conditioner.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 06:53 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (111/100%)
the only way i've been able to get rid of it was to use a surface skimmer. i tried everything.

EDIT - i never did try adding a platy or molly though... and i concur with the below mentioned eyesore comment.

What would Honey Badger do?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 07:16 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
What substrate are you using in this tank?

I would stop feeding for a while and see if that changes anything.

A surface skimmer would help, but is somewhat of an eyesore in a 20 gal tank. Paper towels/inverted soda bottles can reduce the film temporarily. You can fish it out with a fine meshed net. Etc.

Some labyrinth fish and livebearers eat that stuff. Perhaps get a platy or molly and see if that would do the trick?

If it is a new tank it might go away by itself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 08:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesQuall View Post
50% weekly water changes with 80% distilled water 20% tap water with conditioner.
That's a lot of distilled water. Are you sure this is a good idea?

Pimp Club Member #313
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
What substrate are you using in this tank?

I would stop feeding for a while and see if that changes anything.

A surface skimmer would help, but is somewhat of an eyesore in a 20 gal tank. Paper towels/inverted soda bottles can reduce the film temporarily. You can fish it out with a fine meshed net. Etc.

Some labyrinth fish and livebearers eat that stuff. Perhaps get a platy or molly and see if that would do the trick?

If it is a new tank it might go away by itself.
Substrate is 1 bag flourite 1 bag eco-complete. I like the idea of a fine meshed net. Also, would a sword tail count as a livebearer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquariss_fist

That's a lot of distilled water. Are you sure this is a good idea?
I live in an area over a bed of dolomitic limestone. It essentially converts the water to liquid rock. I could likely get away with 95:5 distilled:tap.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 09:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (98/100%)
lift your outflow higher to break surface film. I just put mine up at night when im sleeping.

Eheim 2217 #346

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 10:47 PM
Avi
Planted Tank Obsessed

[quote=oldpunk78;879810]the only way i've been able to get rid of it was to use a surface skimmer...quote]

A surface skimmer should do resolve the problem, and they're a good idea in general.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 11:41 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesQuall View Post
Substrate is 1 bag flourite 1 bag eco-complete. I like the idea of a fine meshed net. Also, would a sword tail count as a livebearer?
I don't have personal experience with swordtails, other than remembering that my dad had them in his tank some 35 years ago. But yes, they are livebearers and I would assume like Platies and Mollies suck down the scum. Keep in mind most lifebearers tend to overpopulate the tank in short time.

There is also the Subcurrent internal wet/dry filter that might work for your situation. The drsfostersmith have it on sale right now for $26. Someone reported about using it for surface skimming, but I can not dig up that thread anymore.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the great suggestions, guys! I now have lots of ideas to try if it doesnt go away itself.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 10:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
You can always use a surface skimming intake they're selling online. I have thesame problem in my tank, but it's only 1 month old so I hope it will go away soon. I think mine surface film is from a colorquartz that was covered in mineral oil, but I can be wrong.
Do you guys know any affordable surface skimmers for that purpose?

Ckeck out my photography&travel blog

And "Like Us" on Facebook

Thanks

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 01:38 PM
GTR
Banned

PTrader: (13/100%)
I use one from Tom Aquatics on my 90. It's hooked to the input of one of my XP3's. Easy to adjust once you understand how it works. I have it set to pull very little from the surface.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...~FIFRFASE.html

SteveU
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 07:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Maybe this is too simple of an answer but I always get that film when I feed the fish either frozen brine shrimp or when I give them the food with garlic in it.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 09:52 PM
Algae Grower

Hey folks what are your pH levels? I have had scum issues for six weeks now on my 20L, and my net research has pulled all kinds of weird (yet valid) theories. A recent observation that interests me is that scum is more prevalent on acidic tanks.

The only differences from previous tank maintenance were that I had been fighting BBA with Excel, DIY CO2, and also bringing more distilled water into my water changes. Through experiment, I have back-burnered both yeast contamination and Excel overdose as continuing causes, so I was just about to switch brands of DI water...

... but pH kinda fits. The problem developed in conjunction with my pH dropping to 7 and below. How about you all?

I am not ruling anything out or even trying to identify causes... just curious.

(belladee: I've seen a couple mentions of fatty brine shrimp, too)

vegasMatt now lives in sanDiego. In retrospect, it was not a good username.

Last edited by vegasMatt; 07-21-2009 at 09:54 PM. Reason: omission

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode