fishless cycling question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
fishless cycling question

Here is one more question non related to planted tanks but I find this forum especially useful in answering all sorts of parameter related questions so here it is.I have been using ammonia for several years to do fishless cycling in tanks with no plants and it takes from 4-8 weeks for the tank to cycle.for those who did this before is there a compound containing nitrites that can be used from the beginning along with ammonia to save the time needed for ammonia to turn to nitrites?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 06:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to bradac56 Send a message via MSN to bradac56 Send a message via Yahoo to bradac56 Send a message via Skype™ to bradac56
Quote:
Originally Posted by anafranil View Post
Here is one more question non related to planted tanks but I find this forum especially useful in answering all sorts of parameter related questions so here it is.I have been using ammonia for several years to do fishless cycling in tanks with no plants and it takes from 4-8 weeks for the tank to cycle.for those who did this before is there a compound containing nitrites that can be used from the beginning along with ammonia to save the time needed for ammonia to turn to nitrites?

Why would you not plant the tank first? I do fishless water cycles as well but I heavily plant the tank and it doesn't take half as long to fully cycle.

Not only does it feed the plants but the plants cycle the water.

- Brad

Proud member of the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

VICTOR PIMP #58 -
VTS-253A-320 x2, VTS-253D-320, VTS-253A-1993-320.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

I am interested in non planted tanks like a malawi lake setup,planted tanks are a different subject

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 06:54 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
I think there are different bacteria that convert NH4 to NO2 and then NO2 to NO3. If you skip the NH4 step, these bacteria will not develop, and the tank won't be cycled.

I guess. With planted tanks we don't have these issues.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

I understand what you say but I mean adding both NH3 and NO2 from the beginning and start cultivating both bacteria types instead of waiting for NH3 to be oxidised to NO2 to start cultivating the NO2 oxidising bacteria(nitrobacter,nitrospira or whatever)In my expierience this could save you up to 3 weeks.Again I am not talking about tanks with plants
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
I'm definitely no expert but it makes sense to me.

Nicole
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Using ADA Aqua Soil and SeaChem filter starter treatment I had
my tank up and cycled ready for fish in little over 2 weeks.

SeaChem bio-start treatment seemed to work well.
Gives filter big shot of the bacteria you want to start growing.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarn View Post
Using ADA Aqua Soil and SeaChem filter starter treatment I had
my tank up and cycled ready for fish in little over 2 weeks.

SeaChem bio-start treatment seemed to work well.
Gives filter big shot of the bacteria you want to start growing.
Have you expierienced peaks of both substances one after the other and then fall back to zero again or you just assume that the cycle completed cause you haven't seen fish gasping on the surface?I have started several threads in the past involving live bacteria in bottles and I've seen the hesitation of many members on these products.I have tried a few my self and monitored NH3 and NO2 and realised that it took the same time (4-8weeks)that it takes under normal circumstances.My only explanation for the presence of these products in the market is that the demand for instant cycling is so great that manufacturers are almost forced to invent such products.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 11:32 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
I am interested in non planted tanks like a malawi lake setup,planted tanks are a different subject
To add a few cents:
I have a planted Mbuna tank. It has anubias and the fish don't mess with the plants, the dominant male sometimes bites the roots to make some space for his mating purposes, but not to eat them, and it hasn't been much damaging.

I actually learned on this forum that Anubias are a safe bet w/ vegetarian cichlids. So i went for it... the tank looks MUCH better now and the fish really like the additional hiding places. Have a look:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new 017.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	14261  

Click image for larger version

Name:	new 018.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	14262  

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

anyone?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 12:41 AM
Banned

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
is there a compound containing nitrites that can be used from the beginning along with ammonia to save the time needed for ammonia to turn to nitrites?
Not that I am aware of, and I have been a fan of reading fish related forums for almost 10 years now.

Edit: BTW, cycling, to me, is only an issue with aggressive species where you need to stock the tank fully at once. By adding fish regularly and gradually, I have never lost a significant number of fish due to cycling.

65 gallon journal:

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 01:29 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
i don't see the logic in it but
you have sodium nitrite and potassium nitrite
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_nitrite
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_nitrite

fish produce NH3, you need to develop those bacteria (NH3->NO2)
I think I see what you're doing.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

that simplethanks..

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode