Flourish v TPN - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Flourish v TPN

Have you used both? If so what are your experences with them? The reason I post this is because they really are two pretty different forms of micro fertilization. Also, since I have strictly been using Flourish (lately, TPN is alot of $$$) my reds have waned, maybe coincidence, maybe not...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 06:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
What's the difference?
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Different chealators and different concentrations of the micros.

I just would like to hear other people's experience with the two of them.

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 07:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Thanks, I've not used TPN so I was curious.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Didn't get a whole lot of action on this so i'm going to resurrect it. After doing price comparisons here is the cost breakdown.

Flourish-$31 for. 2L 5ml per 50g.

PFertz-$30 for ~2L (1/2 Gallon). 1.2ml per 10g.

TPN-$80 for 2L. 5ml per ~12g.

I am heavily considering the pfertz.

post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 02:46 PM
Aroid Addict

PTrader: (76/100%)
CSM+B FTW!

I used to use Flourish and all I got out of it was BBA and diatoms everywhere

Got Plants?-6 CO2 + 12 H2O → C6H12O6 + 6 O2 + 6 H2O

---

Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thats definitely an option but I heard people did not get good results with it in comparison to the liquid micros.

post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 03:32 PM
Aroid Addict

PTrader: (76/100%)
Really? It seems to work perfectly for me. And it's way cheaper in the long run than the liquid stuff.
If you are dosing a 20g tank...

CSM+B - $12 for 1/2lb, and 1/16tsp per 20g three times a week.
Flourish - $8 for 250ml, and 2ml per 20g three times a week.

CSM+B - Appx. 96 tsp per lb, this means 1/2lb of CSM+B should contain about 768 1/16tsp. This means 1/2lb of CSM+B should last a 20g tank with normal EI dosing about 256 weeks.

Flourish - 2ml per 20g, three times a week, this means one 250ml bottle of Flourish should last for about 42 weeks by following the dosing instructions on the bottle.

Hopefully I did the math right (probably not ), but by these numbers, CSM+B lasts 6 times longer than Flourish. Even if it doesn't work quite as well as the liquids, it's still worth it IMO

Got Plants?-6 CO2 + 12 H2O → C6H12O6 + 6 O2 + 6 H2O

---

Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I know its waaaay cheaper but I would rather pay a little more for better results. Do you pre-mix yours in water or just dose with a spoon? Again I heard people had problems with it not fully dissolving when dosed dry.

post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 05:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith782 View Post
I know its waaaay cheaper but I would rather pay a little more for better results. Do you pre-mix yours in water or just dose with a spoon? Again I heard people had problems with it not fully dissolving when dosed dry.
I toss it in dry and it disolves just fine.
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 06:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (34/100%)
I cannot remember whether it was here or at APC but when I mentioned that in my experience I found little difference between CSM+B and either Flourish or TMG (or TPN, or whatever they call it now) a few people insisted CSM+B is inferior. About 3 1/2 months ago I got a jug of TMG pretty cheaply from someone local who went saltwater and have been using that most recently but honestly I see little difference from when I was dosing 1/4 t. dry of CSM+B into my 72 gal right into the flow of my Koralia every other day.

One guy in our local aquatic plant group (SFBAAPS) who grows fantastic plants says he did a fairly comprehensive test over an 18 month period using CSM+B and TMG side by side in two tanks and in the end says he saw little to any difference.

One thing that he mentioned was that he heard that the chelation of iron in TMG is much better (longer lasting) than CSM+B. That's why a bottle of TMG can be kept for such a long time. And to get the best out of CSM+B it was suggested to either dry-dose CSM+B, or if you are mixing it to dose as a liquid only mix enough for a few weeks to a month tops.

Oh, and if it matters there was a poll posted on the SFBAAPS website asking which micros people use. Of 29 responses 48% were CSM+B, and 20% each for Flourish and TPN (and 10% "other"). Not that our club are aquatic plant geniuses nor was this a large poll but we're fairly active and have some pretty darn good growers from the plants and tanks I've seen. If almost half who answered a poll use CSM+B to me that says something.

---------
My tank:

My Photography Website (my other hobby)

post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Maybe ill have to try it then. Im all about saving money but again, not at the expense of my plants.

What are both of yours setups and do you have any recent pics of them?

post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 06:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (34/100%)
As mentioned any recent tank photos of mine are from me using TMG the last 3 or so months. See the My Tank link in my signature below to see my tank from a time I was using CSM+B for my micros for almost a year.

---------
My tank:

My Photography Website (my other hobby)

post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Duh, I wasnt paying attention. Would you say this would be fine for dosing in a shrimp (higher grade CRS) tank?

post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 07:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
I've used them all, so I will say this, if you can't grow nice plants using Plantex,
then your problems are elsewhere other than a trace mix.

If your reds are fading you may need a lil more K+ or Mg or both.

The money I save by using Plantex, I use to buy other stuff, like beer/smokes
even gasoline

Craig

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode