Doing multiple water changes over 50% change? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Doing multiple water changes over 50% change?

As my plants have grown up to the top, and trying to create a dutch influenced aquarium, 50% water changes are becoming problematic. Things get tangled, out of place, etc, with 50% water changes.

What about doing 1/6 water change 3x. I know it's not the same as 50%, I know I can do more than 3x and actually get 50% but that is alot of work obviously. I understand that even though I am removing the same amount of water, it is not truely 50%. But would it be as effective?

I do 50% always but it concerns me more that I am EI dosing. I want to stick to what has been tried and true.

-Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 09:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
I have a dutch style tank and the plants fall down, get exposed to the air and then after are fine. They might get tangled if you have a lot of small branchy wood or poorly placed hardscape that's not set in good, but this is the first I've heard of it being an issue in what? 30 years............

Maybe you could be a bit more specific with what is actually the problem here?
species and how do they get tangled etc?

I have no so issues, the plants are fine and perk up well after 50-80-90% etc water changes without issues. I have plenty of plants, tanks, different layouts etc. I do not have an issue with this and honestly, it's the first time I've ever heard of anyone having such an issue.

Plants lay down and pack and are exposed to the air for a bit, then you refill and they right themselves back up and pearl like mad. They do not tangle unless you do something to tangle them yourself.

Do you leave the filter running or current etc?
Simply turn it off if so.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Tom, here is a picture. Things have grow more since then but it gives you an idea. The plants that get tangled are circled in red.

It's not really that bad, it just takes me some time to get everything back to where it was. I can't siphon water from a bucket in the room I am in, nothing is high enough and I don't have room for anything.

They really get tangled from having to pour water back in. I could get a small latter and put it in the closet I guess, storage space is a premium in this room as it is a home recording studio.

It isn't some super problematic thing, I just wondered if I could make it easier on myself. I have no issue just doing 50% if that is the way it needs to be.

-Matt

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 12:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If you make or buy a simple "python" system you can just run a hose from the nearest bathroom or kitchen and siphon water out with it, then refill with it, just by moving a few valves. That also lets you refill slowly enough to be able to untangle any plants that need it as the tank fills, plus add the Prime or equivalent, do some cleaning up of the room, etc. Of course if the only sink is 200 feet away, or if it is higher than the tank, that is another problem.

Hoppy
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Of course if the only sink is 200 feet away, or if it is higher than the tank, that is another problem.
Not quite that far but other side of the house. Otherwise it would have been done a long time ago. I am a bit sketchy about running hoses in my room from outside because they would run over about $6000 worth of studio equipment. I have water right under my window.

I think i'll have to buy a short latter, problem solved.

-Matt

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 01:14 AM

PTrader: (2/75%)
Hey Talon,

I'm in my music studio reading TPT right now... nice to see other fellow studio enthusiast ;-)

Stevie D
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post
Hey Talon,

I'm in my music studio reading TPT right now... nice to see other fellow studio enthusiast ;-)

Stevie D
Nice. Post some pics up lol, ruin my own thread.

-Matt

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 02:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (158/99%)
if you have water right out the window just run the line out side. all my tanks run out side to the trees. i would drip the water back in take a hour or two to fill. other tanks i use a dip a pour but any container could work the water goes back up vs down messing things up. worst case you can do several smaller changes or fill and refill at the same time.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I wish I could just open my window. This may help explain why I can't do it, notice the window location. I just can't really risk that. This is the reason in general I am very sketcy about running any hoses through this particular room.

-Matt

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 05:07 PM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
Nice setup. I use a bamboo skewer to help detangle after a water change. It works wonders.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 05:59 PM
Banned

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
I wish I could just open my window. This may help explain why I can't do it, notice the window location. I just can't really risk that. This is the reason in general I am very sketcy about running any hoses through this particular room.

Is your name Moby? If I'm ever in Lafayette, can I come play with your equipment? That looks awesome.

65 gallon journal:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode