How to make dosing easier? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
How to make dosing easier?

I dose Seachem equilibrium to help with macros, and every time I do, it takes like 30 minutes. Mostly because I put the dose (1/8th teaspoon for my 20gallon) into a large yogurt container filled with tank water, and stir it up. It takes forever to dissolve. I think it's because the water can only absorb so much, so often I'll dump out the top half after stirring, then scoop more fresh tank water into it, and stir, then dump the top half, and stir and repeat and stir and repeat, and in the end it just takes way too long.

Also, does anyone else using seachem equilibrium find there are bits of sand left over? I assume it's just some byproduct of the manufacturing process.

So yeah, is there any way I could mix like 20 doses into a liter of water, and then just pour 1/20th of a liter in each week? I don't know of any method to help get equilibrium mixed thoroughly into water so that after sitting for 2 weeks most of it doesn't settle back out.

Here is my current schedule:
I do a 30% water change once a week, and I dose 1/8th tsp of Equilibrium, and 1/16th of potassium nitrate and 1/32nd tsp of potassium phosphate each week. I also dose API CO2 booster at recommended dose, and run my lights (finnex fugeray) for 9hours a day in split shifts (medium lighting).

I know I could do the EI method and dose WAY more ferts, but all I want is steady healthy growth that matches my CO2 booster dosing to prevent algae. The only reason I even use the booster is because otherwise I don't get any growth whatsoever from my micro sword or dwarf hair grass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 08:13 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (18/100%)
I just dump the Equilibrium directly into the tank. Most of it sits in the bottom. It does not seem to hurt anything. Within a day it's all absorbed.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 09:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I too have trouble dissolving equilibrium from time to time..

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...=884242&page=2

However, it does dissolve completely, at least eventually...

That said, there's a more general question here:

*Why* are you dosing equilibrium? This product is meant to be used if your water isn't hard enough, not as a fertilizer... So, is your water unusually soft ? (that seems unlikely in the northwest, but I suppose it is possible).

How many dGH do you have, and what are you targeting? 1/8tsp seems rather a small dose for increasing hardness in a 6 gallon water change ...

If your water is already hard, adding equilibrium is pointless, except to the extent it contains the macronutrient potassium... but you can just add K2SO4 instead, and it dissolves much easier.

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 09:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
+1 to Matt
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 11:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
He might be following Tom Barr's non CO2 method.

http://www.barrreport.com/forum/barr...on-co2-methods

Last edited by The Big Buddha; 07-08-2015 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Addition
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 03:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I got equilibrium and used it once and then thought, I'm not even sure what this is doing. Does it stabilize the water? My gh was 6 and kh maybe 8, can't remember. I think I wasted my money on it.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 03:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
He might be following Tom Barr's non CO2 method.
Possible, even his EI and EI low light traditionally calls for GH booster.. but that seems like a waste if you've already got really hard water.. Tossing 1/4-1/8tsp of a GH booster into the water might help plants a lot if you've got water at something like 1-2 dGH... tossing it into water with 15 dGH seems pointless, and possibly counterproductiive..

Quote:
I got equilibrium and used it once and then thought, I'm not even sure what this is doing
The main purpose of equilibrium is to raise GH... so it adds calcium and magnesium to the water, making it harder... It also contains quite a bit of potassium, AFAIK just for electrolyte balance reasons, and a bit of iron (for I don't know what reason).

For example I use it because I keep fish that prefer hard water, so I add 2.5tsp of it each week to raise my water form 5dGH to 10dGH (50% w/c on a 36 gallon)... Folks with very soft water, or RO water, add it to provide a base level of calcium/magnesium for plant and fish health. Not much likes living in water completely devoid of calcium/magnesium.

, low-tech.
, AC20, low tech
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 11:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I use RO water so should I be adding it?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 11:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnebbles View Post
I use RO water so should I be adding it?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
That depends a bit on your RO water..

Straight RODI water without any added calcium/magnesium/alkalinity should prove fatal to fish. If you're using this as your sole source of water, your fish are probably already dead. Using straight RODI for top-offs to replace evaporation is a good thing however..

Some places offer RO treated water that is intended for drinking, and they add calcium and magnesium back in for taste (pure RODI water doesn't taste good either)... If you're using this kind of RO water, you are probably fine.

Also, equilibrium is by far not the only GH booster out there.. if you're using DIY GH booster, Salty Shrimp GH+ or anything else called GH booster or mineral booster... you're probably fine.

Either way, anyone using RO water should have a KH and GH test kit around, at least so they can figure out if their water is suitable for fish/plants, and if not, figure out how much GH booster and alkalinity needs to be added.

, low-tech.
, AC20, low tech
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 12:43 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinmd View Post
That depends a bit on your RO water..

Straight RODI water without any added calcium/magnesium/alkalinity should prove fatal to fish. If you're using this as your sole source of water, your fish are probably already dead. Using straight RODI for top-offs to replace evaporation is a good thing however..

Some places offer RO treated water that is intended for drinking, and they add calcium and magnesium back in for taste (pure RODI water doesn't taste good either)... If you're using this kind of RO water, you are probably fine.

Also, equilibrium is by far not the only GH booster out there.. if you're using DIY GH booster, Salty Shrimp GH+ or anything else called GH booster or mineral booster... you're probably fine.

Either way, anyone using RO water should have a KH and GH test kit around, at least so they can figure out if their water is suitable for fish/plants, and if not, figure out how much GH booster and alkalinity needs to be added.
How does straight RO kill fish?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 01:28 PM
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fish need salts, RO has 0!

Plants would wither to death also.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 03:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonL View Post
How does straight RO kill fish?
Osmotic distress and unstable pH....

A fish has gills, which act as a boundary between a fishes blood, and the water they live in. Those gills need to handle the osmotic pressure caused by their being more ions in the fishes blood than there is in the water. The greater the difference between the water and the blood, the more osmotic pressure on the gills. Deionized water (RODI, distilled, etc) causes excessive osmotic pressure on the gills, often killing fish.

Deionized water (RODI or otherwise) also has no pH buffering capacity.. acids being introduced through fish waste, etc, is going to go completely unbuffered, and that can kill too...

, low-tech.
, AC20, low tech

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode