CSM+B Problems - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
CSM+B Problems

I am new to ferts so maybe my inexperience caused this problem. My CSM+B that I mixed about two weeks ago recently started developing weird cloudy patches in it. Basically it looks like someone backwashed into the jar, the spots will settleat the bottom if I leave it alone for a while but will not disolve back into the solution. The mix was good for at least a week before this started happening. It is 1tbsp in 250ml of water mixed into a pint mason jar. I also have my other ferts mixed in identical jars and they have no such cloudy things in them. Anyone know what this may be?

Last edited by swcurtis; 06-21-2009 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Oops, hit enter way to soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 02:40 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
It is a fungus. There are a number of ways to combat it. i personally just mix up a 100mL batch and keep it in the fridge to control the fungus. Do a search and you'll find many recommendations. The most common is keep it in the dark, and or keep it cold. By all accounts, and in my somewhat limited experience, the fungus is harmless.

Steve
Victor Pimp #34
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

So even though I used distilled water there is still a fungus in it?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 08:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

CSM+B is a fertilizer that was designed to grow stuff as fast as possible. It doesn't matter what kind of water you started with, with that many minerals in one place something is eventually going to grow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 02:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swcurtis View Post
I am new to ferts so maybe my inexperience caused this problem. My CSM+B that I mixed about two weeks ago recently started developing weird cloudy patches in it. Basically it looks like someone backwashed into the jar, the spots will settleat the bottom if I leave it alone for a while but will not disolve back into the solution. The mix was good for at least a week before this started happening. It is 1tbsp in 250ml of water mixed into a pint mason jar. I also have my other ferts mixed in identical jars and they have no such cloudy things in them. Anyone know what this may be?
1 ml of HCL (pool acid) to each batch will resolve it. I suppose some Excel added, say 10mls will work for a month or two.

Add HCL, then the water, then the CMS to the container.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 03:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
1 ml of HCL (pool acid) to each batch will resolve it. I suppose some Excel added, say 10mls will work for a month or two.

Add HCL, then the water, then the CMS to the container.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Isn't that reversed? Never add water to acid - it causes the acid to spatter from the heat generated. Always add the acid to the water - that way it is always diluted too much for the spattering to occur. With the pool acid it probably won't made any difference, but it is just a good rule to remember and follow.

Hoppy
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 03:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Isn't that reversed? Never add water to acid - it causes the acid to spatter from the heat generated. Always add the acid to the water - that way it is always diluted too much for the spattering to occur. With the pool acid it probably won't made any difference, but it is just a good rule to remember and follow.
Typically yes and in general.

The idea here is to add the water and acid first(1 ml HCL to 500mls of water is not going to splatter with pool acid up and out of the bottle, more might and would create heat etc), this softens and acidifies the water, and then you add the CMS, so the chelators stay in place.

If you have a lot of acid and add water to that, that's asking for trouble.
But the volume here is 1ml, you can add that to 500mls of water if you prefer and want to be strict with the rule. Does not matter, only that the acid is added to water in some order, followed by the CMS later(give it a couple of minutes, or shake the water little).

Or use excel.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 04:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
I tried Excel on my last mix in a 500mL bottle. When I mixed my CSM+B I added 40mL of excel to the bottle. No mold, fungus, nothing but a small amount of excel added along with the trace dosing. The bottle stays in the tank stand and is 80% used at this point without any growth in the bottle.
People post regarding Excel for algae issues so I tried it with this and it appears to work fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 05:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Just keep it in the dark and it should be fine.

I have a 500ml Bottle of CSM+b that I keep in the dark in a White SeaChem bottle. I have never had a problem with fungus growing, I mix a new batch every two months or so.
I keep my weekly dose in a green some what see through bottle next to my tank, After a week, this bottle starts to grow white fungus in it.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

Ok that sounds good, I will mix up a new batch with HCL or excell in it. Will using these now reverse the current problems or is the batch done for once the fungus starts growing?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 03:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Excel or HCL will kill it.
What to do with 1999mls of HCL though?
Might go with the Excel.
Add say 10mls per 100mls of CMS

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 05:20 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
If excel is added to the mixture, would it still be kept in the fridge or would it be fine to leave it in the cabinets of the tank stand?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksinister View Post
If excel is added to the mixture, would it still be kept in the fridge or would it be fine to leave it in the cabinets of the tank stand?
Made up a 500mL bottle with 40mL of Excel added that's down to less than 70mL remaining (dosing 4 tanks). Bottle is kept in the tank cabinet no growth, no settlement.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 11:36 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
thanks for the feedback racer!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode