Dry ferts in bulk - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dry ferts in bulk

Anyone know where i can get quality dry ferts (NPK+CSM+B) in bulk (20 pounds and up) and get it shipped to Canada? Is there even any store out there that will ship small orders to Canada?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 06:21 PM
Avi
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here's the one that I use here in the USA and I'm very satisfied...I'm just about positive that they do ship to Canada...

http://aquariumfertilizer.com/
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 08:40 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
You should be able to source Plantex / PlantProd CSM in CAN easily. I've even happened on stores on google in CAN that sells CSM last week as I was doing some research, so it can be found. You too can give then Manufacturer a call for help with locating a local distributer for you, who knows they might be able to sell to you direct.

If you insist on the US purchase you can find 'Plantex' CSM here at www.florikan.com, but the minimum they sell is 5lb's bags and it's $36 before shipping. You will need to add the Boron in yourself by either using Boric Acid Powder, Borax or Solubor, but I prefer to use Boric Acid powder *H3BO3* for my mixes (just add 33 grams per 1lb of the raw CSM) to get the +b .

......the ejunkie

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 01:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Perhaps this is an opportunity for you.
If no one is properly serving Canada, find the nearest farm supply warehouse, talk to them about what you are planning so they don't call the RCMP on you. Purchase in what would be 50lb bags in the states. Break it down into half liter containers and put up a web site.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
If no one is properly serving Canada, find the nearest farm supply warehouse, talk to them about what you are planning so they don't call the RCMP on you. Purchase in what would be 50lb bags in the states. Break it down into half liter containers and put up a web site.
I'm not much of a business guy, but the lfs I work for wants to try selling dry ferts and I need to find a supplier.

I can't even ship the stuff to the states to pick up, because, well, its big bag of white powder. How do you explain that one?

Thanks guys, any other ideas?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 12:57 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Like I mentioned above you should be able to easily find a source if you call the manufacturer. This is the msds of their CSM if it helps and a quick Google search with minimal effort came up with these guys www.growercentral.com

....the ejunkie
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Thank you!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hmmm...

Do you really think that there is enough of a Canadian market for this though?

4% of plantedtank's visitors are from Canada, compared to 46% from the US. The Canadian market is only 10% of the US market.
So how often do you think sites like GLA ship out dry fertz? 10 times a week? That would mean I'd only end up shipping out 1 or 2 a week.
Or you think the market is bigger than that?
How many people really buy dry ferts online?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 06:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Rather than "making money" think of it as a way to pay for your tank and supplies. Nothing more.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 06:23 PM
Deactivated

PTrader: (48/100%)
It is hard to imagine that bulk ferts are not available in Canada in most forms when you consider the number of retail establishments that cater to the home hydroponic cultivation market.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by over_stocked View Post
Rather than "making money" think of it as a way to pay for your tank and supplies. Nothing more.
But I still want to make sure I can make a profit, I'd hate to invest a bunch of money only to lose it all if there isn't a market.

Quote:
It is hard to imagine that bulk ferts are not available in Canada in most forms when you consider the number of retail establishments that cater to the home hydroponic cultivation market.
There is, but they will never ship anything less than 25kg, and its usually lower quality.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm... I still can't find a good dealer.

The ones listed above don't ship to my location, and google searches turn up nothing but chinese suppliers that only ship in metric tons.

Anyone else know of any canadian bulk dry fert suppliers?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 07:38 PM
Deactivated

PTrader: (48/100%)
Why don't you give us the province in Canada where you would wish to receive chemicals, exact names of chemicals and largest quantity you are able to purchase (In kilos). I can not believe this is as hard as you are making out unless you are in Nunavut or the Northwest territories or Yukon or something or you want a relatively small amount.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

I've found a good distributor, but I have a few questions if anyone knows fertilizer.

The don't sell Potassium Sulphate, but they have Potassium Sulphate Solupotasse. Is that more or less the same thing? It has the same nutrition analysis, but is it safe for fish?

And they have two kids of potassium nitrate, potassium nitrate crystal and potassium nitrate special K. Anyone know which would be better for fish? If there is even a difference?

Sorry, their customer service wasn't very helpful.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode