Seachem / Flourish Test Tube Dosing - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Seachem / Flourish Test Tube Dosing

Wondering if anyone uses test tubes to dose the seachem line? I have a 10 gallon and using/cleaning droppers everyday is getting a bit tedious. I was thinking of mixing excel and macros in one tube for MonWedFri and excel, iron and comprehensive in another for TuesThursSat? Anyone try this or think it will work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 03:28 AM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
Could you pick up some pipettes? A 1mL or 3mL should work out just fine for you. They are quick and easy to use. You can rinse them out with aquarium water after each dose. You can use the same pipette for all your products if you wanted to.

I never mixed any of them when I was using them. I wouldn't mix Excel with any of your other Seachem products. Also, some of Seachem's products need to be in an opaque container because light can break them down.

Are you using this calculator? It is the link at the bottom of the first post.

EHEIM PIMP #164
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 05:59 AM
Planted Member

I use syinges I picked up at Walmart. They are great and add the perfect amount every time. You could buy 7 and pre-fill them, then every day just shoot that syringe in the water.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the responses guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left C View Post
Could you pick up some pipettes? A 1mL or 3mL should work out just fine for you. They are quick and easy to use. You can rinse them out with aquarium water after each dose. You can use the same pipette for all your products if you wanted to.
I believe that is what I am currently doing with something like this:

I like that roughly 20 drops equals 1ml.

I think this could be even more convenient:

So I won't mix them - that's fine. I figured once a week I could fill them all individually with the individual nutrient's dose and conditioned water. That way I just empty the test tubes of the nutes I'm dosing that day. I could probably keep the test tubes out of the light if that would make a difference.

Quote:
I never mixed any of them when I was using them. I wouldn't mix Excel with any of your other Seachem products. Also, some of Seachem's products need to be in an opaque container because light can break them down.
Good to know about mixing Excel with the others.

It would be nice if it was darker, but I wonder if something like this would be practical and opaque enough for each product:

Quote:
Are you using this calculator? It is the link at the bottom of the first post.
I actually just saw that today. Great job on that. Currently I am dosing, per Seachem's directions, macros on MWF and comprehensive and iron on TRS. I'm not following their schedule. I'm just spreading out their recommended weekly doses into a MWF/TRS schedule. Do you think following your way is much better than what I am doing now? I'm open to switching it up.

Thanks.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibertech View Post
I use syinges I picked up at Walmart. They are great and add the perfect amount every time. You could buy 7 and pre-fill them, then every day just shoot that syringe in the water.
That's a great idea. What size is your tank? I think on my 10 gallon a syringe might be too big. Some of my doses are 10 or 15 drops. I'm sure for a bigger tank that works great.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 07:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostShrimpBoo View Post
I believe that is what I am currently doing with something like this:

I like that roughly 20 drops equals 1ml.

I think this could be even more convenient:
Pipettes have graduation marks on them somewhat like a syringe does. Your droppers don't have graduation marks and you don't have to count drops like you are doing now if you use pipettes.

Pipettes are a little quicker to use than a syringe. But, a syringe works fine too. Syringes usually have more graduation marks than pipettes.

I like using pipettes instead of syringes.

Those test tubes only have a mark for 5 mL. I don't see any advantage by using them. They aren't like a graduated cylinder.

Going by that dosing calculator that I sent you a link to shows that all of the dosing for a 10g requires 0.6 to 2.5 mL for everything except the initial dose of Excel after a water change which is 5 mL.

3 mL pipette

1 mL pipette

EHEIM PIMP #164
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 01:43 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostShrimpBoo View Post
That's a great idea. What size is your tank? I think on my 10 gallon a syringe might be too big. Some of my doses are 10 or 15 drops. I'm sure for a bigger tank that works great.
I have a 20. The syringes I use are small and measure in ml
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Those test tubes only have a mark for 5 mL. I don't see any advantage by using them. They aren't like a graduated cylinder.
I wasn't going to use the test tubes to measure the doses. I was simply going to use them to hold the liquid. I was going to use a dropper and fill all the test tubes up once a week. I just figured it would be a little easier doing it once a week and then when the day comes just dump in the contents of the test tubes that I'm dosing that day. Each test tube would have a different nutrient. The dose would be dropped in and the rest of the 5ml test tube would be filled with conditioned water.

Quote:
Going by that dosing calculator that I sent you a link to shows that all of the dosing for a 10g requires 0.6 to 2.5 mL for everything except the initial dose of Excel after a water change which is 5 mL.
I will start using your schedule on Monday (weekly water changes are on Sundays for me). Is there a way you can copy and paste the schedule for a 10 gallon. I don't have excel on my personal computer and I was only able to look at it briefly at work where I have excel.

Also, I saw these. Do you think these would be ok. Since I am not dosing that many drops of anything, do you think this would work ok? I was thinking of getting a different bottle for each nutrient/product. They have built in droppers, I think, and seem like they should be dark enough. Let me know what you think.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 06:01 PM
Banned

You can set the calculator to how many gallons that you want. Then copy it and send it to yourself in the form of an email.

I really don't see any advantage to taking the product out of its stock bottle and transferring it to another bottle.

EHEIM PIMP #164

VICTOR PIMP #1

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode