No CO2--to fert or not to fert, that is the ??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question No CO2--to fert or not to fert, that is the ???

OK, bare with me here, the whole plant thing is pretty new to me. I'm sure this question has been addressed, ad nauseum, but as I say, I'm new here. I have a new 58G just set up 5-15-09. Plants are 3x tiger lotus, several C. wendetti, floating Brazilian pennywort (H. leucocephala), cabomba carolina and several C. crispatula-balansae. Substrate is a 60/40 eco complete and flourite red. Lighting is 2x39w T5HO, 4-5 inches above the water surface, 12 hours a day. I'm dosing Excel every other day and using Flourish plant tabs in the substrate. 50% WC weekly. All plants doing well. T. lotus already spreading on the surface. C. carolina has reached surface. Crypts putting out new leaves.... All in all I'm freekin ecstatic cuz this my my first real attempt in 20 years at a plant tank, aside from the odd weeds in the corners of my older tanks........No, I ain't going CO2. Too much $$$ and too much hardware to play with. I'm a KISS kinda guy...My question is, beyond what I'm already doing, would it be worthwhile to use additional ferts, say Flourish, or the dry fert routines I have seen here....or should I leave well enuff alone since things are growing and I'm not having problems?!?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 06:23 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Keep watching your plants. It's too early to tell now, but in time the water column in your tank might run out of nutrients, and then some plants can start to get into trouble. Excel is a CO2 replacement in some ways, although for a 58gal tank you'd need quite a bit.

Depending on what's in your tap water, it can't hurt to add a bit of Flourish (comprehensive - micro mix). In some of my tanks I notice if I don't do that, Ambulias for example start to get really small, light green leaves, and after adding Flourish, they turn bronze color again.

Besides that, NO3 is usually what runs out first. If you notice new leaves starting to appear pale, it might be time to add some of that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks Wasserpest. Right now life is good, but the tank is new and I was worried that down the road it may all go to H*ll if I don't do other things...that I'm not familiar with yet..Appreciate the advice from you folks who've been doing this stuff for years!!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 10:00 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
I have 2 heavy planted low-tech tanks.. They're running for 2-3 years now.. And I don't add ferts or change the water all that much.. It's a soil (like mineralized soil) tank. You should be fine. It wouldn't hurt to once in a while add ferts in the water column, and soil.

It's actually a little tricky but no work. Don't expect the plants to grow super fast so don't increase your lights. Don't change the water so much and so often. You'll get algae these ways. Go with the flow. Abrupt change to water parameters is bad.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode