GH KH TDS - how to measure

Here are the tools I have:
* API KH kit
* API GH kit
* electronic TDS measuring tool - $20 or $30 purchase

I'm done mutiple measures.
First measurement: KH 2, GH 12[?], 80 TDS

after adding 25% pure RO in a 55g i get: KH 1, GH 12-15[?], 41 TDS

i am suspicious of my GH kit (or my ability to read it) and/or the TDS tool. is there any alternative way of measuring these 3 values specficially GH?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 04:27 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Sense your TDS lowered, your GH should be lower.

Are you holding the bottles completely upside down so that the drops are the correct size?

Holding the bottle sideways will make the drops smaller than they should be.

“I wear a ten-gallon cowboy hat. That’s where I keep my fish tank."
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
noted about holding bottle directly upside down... (i dont know - probably not) but it should have have such a large effect? im guessing my GH is like 4-6 range.

also ive never seen GH turn GREEN.. its more "yellow green" - going from golden yellow to dirty yellow at around 13 14 15 drops. is that what they call green?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 05:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
At 41 ppm TDS your GH is probably between 2 and 3 degrees. That is very very soft water. If you go much lower then plants will begin to suffer lack of minerals.

If no other solids are dissolved besides the minerals then divide ppm by 17 for an approximation of degrees of hardness. Tank water always has other things dissolved in it such as nitrates from food and waste so actual mineral TDS would be even lower.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

for GH API test kit i am consistently getting slight yellow to yellow-green color change after 10 drops. something wrong with the kit? something wrong with me? what else could be wrong?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 06:09 PM
Planted Member

If your not sure of the color, take the cap off and look down through the test tube.

“I wear a ten-gallon cowboy hat. That’s where I keep my fish tank."
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 11:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The GH test is the most problematic. I have never had one that worked properly. The one I have now you could add the entire bottle and never get a change. It has been that way since the day I bought it. There was another thread talking about this the other day, I think in the sticky on test calibrating and it was mentioned that if the test was stored in too high of heat that it might make it inaccurate.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

hmmm. mine's always stored in cool basement.

are there any KH GH units where i dont have to continously buy liquids to test? i would rather pay 100 or even 200$ for an accurate on-demand method of testing if i dont have to buy additional solutions.

sort of like an electronic tds or ph meter
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 01:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I do not know if there are probes for GH.

There are other companies that make GH test kits, including more test-tube-reagent type, and dip stick types.

Some of the other companies' tests read in different colors, perhaps easier to read.

Are you on a well? Or municipal water supply? If it is a public supply there ought to be a water quality report.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 02:42 AM
Banned

You're probably having trouble reading the GH test because it is changing color with the first drop, and the less drops needed for the color change, the fainter the color is.

TDS 41 ppm = 2.3 German degrees. Since this is the total dissolved solid reading, it not only reads Ca2+ and Mg2+ (GH), but everything else also. CO3, HCO3, K, Na, Cl, Fe, PO4, SO4 among others.

Since you don't have a problem reading the KH test, and the result is 1 dKH (17.848046 ppm), this leaves 23.152 ppm (1.3 dGH) of other dissolved solids (give or take).

In typical aquarium water, GH is basically only Ca2+ and Mg2+. If you have any K, Fe, NO3, NH3, PO4, SO4 (among others), this detracts from the 23.152 ppm of dissolved solids above. Leaving around 1 German degree (17.848ppm) or less of GH.

Last edited by Audionut; 07-05-2015 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Clarity regarding ions
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 04:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

For what it is worth, these are the kind of colors I get out of my GH test kit, on water that I've "hardened up" with equilibrium...

Note: I've taken these shots in conditions that maximize the color.. looking down from a bit of an angle, with a white paper background, and plain white light overhead, and at night to avoid sunlight reflecting off plants from throwing the color off.

Regardless, mine really does get those colors when viewed at these angles... Running the test on softer water obviously gets less dark of a color reaction.

At least one person here (Diana) has commented that she never got colors nearly that dark...

All that said, I do agree there's a major disconnect between 12 dGH and 41ppm TDS... At least one of those numbers has to be wrong.

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 05:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
If GH is that low and thought to be unmeasurable.
Double the test volume to 10ml. and divide by 2 the drops.

Growing is not that difficult.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode