Ferts and Fish?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Ferts and Fish??

Set up a new 58G about a month ago. Plants are doing great, much to my surprise....first plant tank!! Definitely low-tech, just root tabs and excel every other day. Problem is, my guppies keep dying, one or two a day and I can't understand WHY??? Been keeping fish 20 years and I do my WC's faithfully. Zero ammonia in the tank and mature filters. Is it possible or likely that the excel is causing this??? I have never used the stuff before, being a "fish guy". I am careful to premix it with about 8 ounces of water first and slowly pour it into the tank near a PH to mix it up. I've had guppies in another tank well over a year and they do fine...this tank kills them?!...any thoughts??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 01:45 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
how are they dying? maybe it's disease.

and how much excel are you adding?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

I'm adding 5ml every other day, a bit less than the directions indicate and less frequently...trying not to trigure an algae breakout. The fish came from 3 different sources, over time. They do fine, eat good and are active, then get lethargic for a day and die. I pulled several into a QT tank and medicated for bacteria and parasites for two weeks......lost all of them too....which kinda points away from the excel I guess, but I am unaccustomed to losing fish like this....mine usually die of old age. Also have 4 plecos in the tank who seem to be doing just fine, while the guppies drop like flies!! I am confused........

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 03:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I have found guppies to be extremely hardy, until they aren't! My tank contained guppies who were all descendants of a small group purchased about 4 years, and who were lively, busy, and healthy. But, about two weeks ago, their numbers suddenly dropped. All of the babies vanished. A week later I had no guppies left at all. The other fish left in the tank continued to act as if in very good health. I have now restocked the tank with tetras, and they are doing fine. No fish in the tank are big enough to eat guppies, other than babies.

This is about the third time this has happened for me, over the past 30 years or so. I have no idea why it happens.

Hoppy
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Hello Hoppy.

Same here. I've had no issues with guppies in the past, till this new tank....now I can't keep em alive. Kind of annoying since I "expect" my fish to do well because I take good care of my tanks. I don't mind losing a $3 guppy once in a while, but in the past 3 weeks I've lost about 30, which starts to add up to real money...no fin rot, tail rot, swollen bodies, fungus of any kind, no gasping at the surface, nobody eating or harrassing them...they just freekin' die!!.......I told my wife last night that if I lose the newest ones, I'm switching over to something else, as you've done.....maybe something in the way they're being bred, I dunno, but they're getting expensive and I hate funerals!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 04:00 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
now that hoppy mentioned it, I had the same thing happened to me as a kid. I think I came to the conclusion that they do better in the long run in a semi-brackish tank and I couldn't give them that type of habitat with my other fish. Not sure if that's the right conclusion though. People who raise and breed guppies should chime in.

try adding salt in your QTank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Started keeping them two years ago to give some color to my "catfish" tank......I love cats, but they tend to be vampire fish...only come out after dark, so the guppys seemed like a good daytime fish to try.....started with a dozen and ended up with around 100!!!...lots of color and activity, no problems...till now.....annoying.....yes, if there are any guppy pros out there, please gimme some feedback sice my other fish seem to be just fine.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode