Going Pressurized CO2 need suggestions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Going Pressurized CO2 need suggestions

Ok so I am going to take the plunge with pressurized CO2 with a 5 or 10Lb bottle and this regulator. (SMC needle) and I cant decide on a mix max reactor, or a diffuser. I have heard some not so great things about the reactor, aka weak plastic, loud, but am also unsure of how "Spritish" the water would get in my tank using a diffuser.

Tank info:
40G bowfront ~24" tall from substrate
SunSun 304b canister filter (loving it as a first canister)
2 Swords, bunch of Italian val, Broadleaf and narrow ludwiga, Red Cabomba (a bit green at the moment, and some glasso.

Along with a firemouth, electric yellow, kenyi, and red zebra cichlids. (all still babies)

I am currently running 2, 2L Diy co2 bottles through a powerhead and the flow in my tank is back top to front top and around which swirls my little bubbles quite nicely. I just have a picture in my head of a huge amount of bubbles everywhere that would really take away from the tank. So, if anyone has some pictures of how "sprite-like" a tank with fish could get i would love to see them.

Also if there are other "cheapish" inline reactors that I could use please let me know, And how loud are these reactors?

One last thing I am tight for space and with the canister and bottle in the cabinet I will have less then 1/3 of the space left for storing ferts, food, air pump, so on and so forth. Which is one of the reasons I am hesitant to do a DIY rex reactor, but it might fit....

Thanks!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 11:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I just got that same setup for my 75g. I use cerges reactor. Its silent for the most part. Big though.

If you ate going to get a diffusor I would get the atomic ones. I hear they are great. But I don't know about the bubbles though.

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 12:05 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I use an Up Aqua inline diffuser and it is quiet and does the job. Bubbles are really tiny. I like the idea of using a diffuser that completely dissolves the CO2, but I went the easier way.

Karl

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 12:23 AM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
If your are thinking about a reactor, they can be reasonably compressed. I have a reactor, 5# bottle, air pump and a Marineland C-360 crammed in there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well im working with 30' x 11' at the shortest and the 304b is basically the c-360 and is the same size. I am pretty confident that I can fit the can and regulator in there using about 2/3 of my space. My ferts, air pump, surge protector/timer, and plant tools take up almost all the space that I currently have and then a little with the 2 2L, and a milk jug bubble counter/dump that the can would use, maybe the can would be a bit smaller. I have the day off tomorrow so I'm going to do a few things.

1. test flow rate (timed milk jug fill) doing a partial water change anyway.
2. try to compress some of the things by mounting surge, and light boxes (2 finex planted +'s)
3. little pruning
4. glass cleaning
5. try to figure out some acoustic dampening. (open back stand :/)

I will grab some pics so maybe you guys can get some better understanding of the situation.

I have been trying to find an inexpensive house filter top (reactor thing) but the ones i have found locally are like $30 and the max mix is like $12.... but like I said i have heard they can be loud and the filter hum (barely audible) is enough.

Thanks for the help so far!

Edit:

Ok so I have decided that I dont want to see the bubbles, so now I just have to see how much space I can free up and even if maybe I can squeeze in a 10 Lb can. I think hight may be my limiting factor on the can. a 10Lb looks to be 21" tall and then I have to have some space for the reg as well. I have 27" of height to work with so I think it would fit but I am going to shoot CO2art an e-mail and see if they can get me the measurements from nipple center to the top of the gauges if I cant find that on the net.

Now I just need to find that house filter thing as well as some specs on size and figure out if I can make it work

This looks like my best option in 1/2 style but I am worried about the flow. Spec sheet says 5 GPM which seems lower then I would want but im not sure if that is with filter or without. :/

Last edited by Eclipseaudio4; 06-30-2015 at 02:27 AM. Reason: added information
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok so I got everything as compact as i think I can get it at this point. Grabbed a 10 Lb can and set it in there as well. (plenty of room for the reg) I have about 6" x 8" and plenty of height, so I'm thinking of making a DIY Cerges. Maybe a 4" outer with a 1" inner maybe 20" tall, this would work with my space available and should give me 100% saturation(I think). I am running between 300 and 350 GPH which is right around where I figured. I am trying to figure out both if I really need a bubble counter and and what type I should use, or if maybe I should just DIY one.

upon further thought I think I am going to start with a diffuser see how i like it then go from there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150630_121201.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	492514  

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Got the regulator and others in today. OMG it looked like they used my box as a soccer ball!!!! Thankfully everything was ok. What misting there is in the water is so small that being more then a couple inches away means you can't see it. I'm still waiting on my drop checker to get here but started slow (1bps) and moved it up every other hour till I got to 3bps. Seems like a lot to me for a 40g but I am prob wrong. That being said my fish acted like nothing had changed so I will leave it there till the checker gets here tomorrow. I do have a ton of surface agitation so I'm not too worried about a lack of o2. I think if I end up having to go much higher on the count though I may just switch to a reactor.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode