Fertilizing idea ! will this work ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fertilizing idea ! will this work ?

Hello all

I live In Egypt and there is no much interest for the planted tanks, so there is no much equipment for this hobby for example i cant find soils like ada amazonia soil or eco complete soil , i cant even find a slow release fertz like osmocote plus to use it with a gravel or sand

so I am thinking about a Fertilizing Idea something like a reversed UG and dosing the Fertilizers with a big syringe thru the UG holes under the gravel

well i started it

The whole idea is to fertilize the plants that need root fertilizers or nutrient rich substrates

1st i used a small diameter hose to work as the reversed UG ,it was hard to hold that shape until i used old batteries to hold it

Then i used some silicone blobs to glue the hose to the bottom of the tank and removed the batteries after it dried

Then with a hot nail i will start to make holes every 2 inches along the hose
of course the hose is long enough that it starts from the above of the tank for the ease of using the syringe

Now i want to think about the formula to use with this method i need to know how much fertz i should dissolve in how much water then dose it how often !

Please tell me what do you think about this idea ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 02:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
You have countries near you where there are people who sell the regular ingredients
for ferts like KH2PO4 or KNO3. I got them...wait I'll look them up.
On e-bay from quali-chem in Israel.
For me, I believe you are thinking too hard on this. I also think it will work. But I
don't know how you would decide how much to put in there.
Most plants can get enough ferts from the water. It is just easier for them if they can get the ferts from both top and roots.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 07:43 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Israel won't do for importing to Egypt I am guessing... But there is an ADA Arabia page on Facebook... It seems mainly oriented to the GCC states, but you might be able to ask a friend to bring a small package of ferts for you... There are stores in Dubai and Qatar with ADA products. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 07:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Dosing like that won't really make much difference unless you're using a substrate like speedy dry or something else that retains the nutrients imo.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 09:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You can use ordinary topsoil, under an inert substrate, like sand, and let the soil supply most of the needed nutrients. If you limit the lighting to low light you may have enough nutrients so you won't need to do any dosing. If you can get a glutaraldehyde based disinfecting solution, like Metricide, you can use that to get more carbon available to the plants, and get better plant growth.

Hoppy
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 05:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
your asking for dosing levels but haven't mentioned two key ingredients in answering that question:

1) How many plants in the tank?
2) Which plants?

If you have very little plants, and they are easy to grow, you won't need this under gravel system. However, if you have heavy root feeders that aren't as easy to grow, then you'll want a lot more co2 and fertilizer to get them spreading.

For example, I have guppy grass that I have to throw away in handfuls each week or so, but my dwarf hair grass hasn't grown very much at all in the last 6 weeks because I don't have super high CO2 or lighting.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

All i want is to grow a very good HC carpet and some dwarf hairgrass in the back
i have good co2 system and very good lighting system with vero leds
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 02:13 AM
Planted Member

I think your batteries will hurt the plants. VRLA batteries from a UPS are famous for raising the acidity.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Ordinary fools are all right; you can talk to them, and try to help them out. But pompous fools -- guys who are fools and are covering it all over and impressing people as to how wonderful they are with all this hocus pocus -- THAT, I CANNOT STAND! -Richard Feynman
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 03:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I don't believe his intention is to leave the batteries in the tank, they were just used as weights for helping the piping to form to fit the bottom of the tank.

As for hair grass and similar plants, many take either a LOT of ferts/light/CO2 or a LOT of time to create the "lawn" effect desired by many. So keep that in mind. I have both dwarf hair grass and micro sword and they are easily the slowest growing plant in my tank and I see no difference in their growth week to week unless I check an old photo from a month or three ago.

I'm told they are heavy root feeders, and require very high CO2 and Light to really get dense and spread. If you are intending to make a dense matt of them, I would consider planting them, and leaving out all animals so you could overdose CO2 and bump up the light very high, to rapidly grow in the plants, and it could still take weeks and weeks depending on how much plant mass you start with and how much you want. Maybe even months. I've had my micro sword for probably 5 months now, and I doubt I've seen it double in number of leaves in that time. But I dose CO2 very sparingly, and most of the nutrients in my tank are likely absorbed by my other faster growing species.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode