nitrates - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
nitrates

Hi everyone,I have a problem with high nitrates in a 40 gallon tank even though all other parameters are "normal".The plants are growing like crazy,the fish are healthy and happy with no losses of either since tank was redone about 3 months ago,my tap water tests very low for nitrates.I tested a second tank with no fish just trimmings from other plants and set up for about 6 months and it tests high also even though no fish so no over feeding.Both tanks test at 40-60 nitrates using a API test kit bought about 9 months ago.At $32.00 a pop I hope it is not the test kit and can I purchase just the nitrate 1-2 solutions.Any input will be appreciated.P.S. 0 ammonia 0 nitrates ph about 6.5-7

Last edited by Doogy262; 11-14-2016 at 08:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 05:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
CO2? Ferts?
Maybe overstocked?

Have you tried calibrating test kit.
Mixing a known solution and test.

Bump: Tank looks nice!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 06:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
There is a formula for testing/calibrating the kit on the first thread of the Fert section.
I suspect it's off. You just need to find out which way.
Other than that, KNO3 will bring up nitrates if it's not used up by the plants.
Substituting K2SO4 in equal amounts drops the nitrate level while keeping the potassium in there.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 06:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
40-60 nitrates is not that bad IMO (given that you add KNO3).

If everything is doing well (and it looks like it is) I would not screw with anything that you're doing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 06:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Yes you can buy just the nitrate part of the kit. .. I think it's about 7 to 10 dollar... comes with solution and test tubes...

Also if you're questioning your test see if you lfs can do a test of a water sample

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
parameters

I have pressurized co2,macro,micro mix of KNO3,MgS04,K2504,csm+8 at half dose daily.50% water change weekly.Will try to calibrate test and see what happens. Thanks
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 07:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Water Perameters

Hello Doog...

Nitrates in the 60 ppm range aren't a problem for most fish. At worst, this level in their water will produce very minor discomfort. What's more important is a steady water chemistry and that means large, weekly water changes. If you change half the water weekly and service the filtration system at the same time, you'll have few, if any tank problems.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 08:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogy262 View Post
I have pressurized co2,macro,micro mix of KNO3,MgS04,K2504,csm+8 at half dose daily.50% water change weekly.Will try to calibrate test and see what happens. Thanks
Phosphorous is a major nutrient for plants. It is essential. You get some from the fish food, but successful planted tanks are fertilized with phosphates as well as the other nutrients. Add KH2PO4 to your fertilizers and dose about the same amount as the CSM+B. Just don't try to mix it in with a solution that contains CSM, or it will precipitate out the iron, making both the iron and part of the phosphates unavailable to the plants.

Hoppy
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 10:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
To conserve on test kits you can convert them to 1 drop tests.
0.5ml and 1 drop from each bottle could do the job.
If you have or purchase a <$5 graduated cylinder you're in business.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 01:49 AM
Planted Member

The API nitrate test kit is the only one of all API tests that can be problematic! You need a relative new kit for it to test reliably. I have used already 5 different API nitrate test kits. One went bad on me within 2 month. I haven't figured out yet where the problem is.

Every time I am testing, I use standard test solutions first, so I know when there is something wrong. Some people here have suggested to vigorously shake both bottles for quite some time before testing, but that seems to be only part of the problem. As I learned, some nitrate kits go flat rather quickly and they cannot be reactivated.

Incidentally, I have had nitrate levels in tanks as high as 200 ppm, but even at that level I never observed any problems.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 06:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If the bottles are not shaken enough then the concentration of liquid in the bottles will be too strong and after using it that way a few times you have changed the concentration in the bottle. Therefore the test will be inaccurate. That is the only test that requires shaking each bottle vigorously for 1 minute per the directions.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 01:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Reduce the fertilizer dosing, calibrate the NO3 test.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode