ferts in eco-complete? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
ferts in eco-complete?

my 45 gallon has about 30 jungle vals that are regrowing after an ammonia od incident when I first began cycling it.While it was cycling,you could almost watch them growing.The substrate is eco complete,it's been running about 2 months or so.I added frogbit and hornwort,which are both kind of taking over,but the vals have slowed way down.
I also backed off on PWC's when I added a betta,and then some otos for the brown algae.I have a bottle of osmo + and some gel caps,but I'm wondering if I should do that,or remove the hornwort and frogbit.

could the hornwort and frog bit be stealing all the nutrients,or could the eco complete be tapped out already?

MTS? no,I just need one more tank...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 02:48 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
I want to believe the eco complete is still going strong but you very well could be right that its already been reduced to high cec pebbles. I would say go for the osmocote tabs at the base of the vals and maybe pull out some hornwort if its really established itself.

Pat
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 02:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Osmocote+ should not be placed closer than 6" apart from each other.
If the tank is 18" then two rows but in a 12" tank only one row down the middle.
But like if the plants are all to the back you can off set that row farther back.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 08:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Eco Complete should be assumed to contain zero nutrients. What little it has is almost all, if not all, unavailable to the plants.

What lighting are you using? With more than low light the plants need a lot more nutrients.

Hoppy
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just added some gelcaps with 20 balls (grains?) of O+ in each,I put them 6 inches apart so was only a few,it's a 45 and only 36" long.when I stop and think about it,perhaps the growth and new runners I was seeing while cycling was from the ammonia I was adding.Right before I began adding fish,I would drop in ammonia to 1 ppm and it would be gone within 4 hours.

So that makes a lot of sens Hoppy.Perhaps it is just high cec pebbles?Maybe next tank I'll try dirted,either aquasoil or mgoc.also,I am using a Planted + light,but the tank is 24" deep.Medium light then?

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 02:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Some substrates give you a long list of minerals that they contain, but they are right on the edge of lying.

These minerals are all locked up in the material, not available to the plants.

Sort of like saying you are getting your daily mineral requirements because your china plates are made of the minerals you need.

You are doing just right adding slow release fertilizers in the substrate.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

well,going through a steep learning curve with this tank.some green slightly hairy algae began growing on the sides,and today there were detritus worms about midway up the glass.I figure they may have overpopulated when I had all the dead val leaves,we did notice a lot of those seemed to disappear though I was grabbing all I could with tongs.
I wonder if the worms came out because of a lack of food,or from ammonia in the O+? I did remove most of the hornwort,along with much of the frogbit yesterday.I'm not sure if the algae is gsa or hair.there was enough in one spot to grab a piece of java moss floating by.
if it's hair algae,is it maybe time to start dosing k? I'm still totally new and have never used ferts before,other than the O+ I put in the caps the other day.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 12:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Give the Osmocote a chance to work.
Keep on removing the algae by hand or try a little hydrogen peroxide or excel. You will have to check the dose, but either of these can kill several sorts of algae.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for your input,I appreciate it.I used my mag scraper on it yesterday,worms have disappeared,perhaps the betta has a full stomach now? he didn't seem to hungry this morning.My oto's are staying pretty round as well,and not touching the scraps of the last algae wafer I dropped in.

I kinda thought I'm being a bit impatient.Kinda got spoiled on the growth the Vals had when I was cycling the tank.I was dosing 1 ppm ammonia daily and they were growing and sending out runners daily.

looks liek the o+ tabs are beginning to work...I had a runner from one of the vals that had produced 2 plants,then came out and just stopped when I stopped adding ammonia.I removed most of the hornwort and floaters too.

that one runner that had sort of stalled,now has a nice little 2 inch plant on the end of it.I think the next tank, i'll try to make some MTS,we just had 10 yards of topsoil dumped for our strawberry beds....

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-09-2015 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

how much excel would be advisable with vals? I've read they don't react well to it.

kinda having a bad day with this tank...I now have green fuzz on the val leaves,hair algae in the flowing return water from the filter,I added 4 otos wednesday,2 were dead today and tail rot on the other 2.I cut the photo period to 7 hours,and put in a piece of anacharis.checked the water,0 ammonia,0 nitrite and 5 ppm nitrate.

starting to think these might not be Jungle val.they seem to get about 8-10 inches tall and stop.One of the stalled runners shot off a plant that's now almost as big as the others.the leaves on these are only 1/4 inch wide,and out of 30 or so,there's only 2 leaves that are 12 inches long,rest are 8 to 10.

Also,I put the eco complete in a 5 gallon tank,cycled it,and have detritus worms
crawling up the glass in it as well,I wonder if they or their eggs are in that stuff? I have never seen those before.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 06:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Eco-complete or Flourish won't release much nutrients (if at all) as said, but they do have some CEC.

I have Flourish (and another clay from Aquabase, a closed company from Montreal) and I dose ferts in the water column because i know my Flourish will retain some of the ferts. My Echinodorus tells me i am right, it thrives.

Michel.

Plants and algae grower.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just received ei ferts from nilocg,I got the dry "kit".As soon as I get back from this upcoming 4 day trip,I'm going to start 1/3 to 1/2 ei dosing.Interestingly,because of the otos,I changed water and dropped nitrates to 5 ppm,and now I have at least 2 more kinds of algae.I have hair algae in the fast water from the filter return,green fuzz on the 2 longer Val leaves,and spot on the glass.The otos seem to eat the GSA.

For some reason,the vals send out runners,and quickly grow a new 5 or 6 inch plant,then send out another runner.Hoping some ferts in the water column will help with the plant growth and the algae problem.I cut the light back to 6 hours.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode