Sitting on my first 50% water change. Can I put declorinator directlly in to the tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Sitting on my first 50% water change. Can I put declorinator directlly in to the tank

So My tank is half empty and I got my python hooked up to the sink ready to start filling. Can I just start filling it and poor my declorinator right into the tank? NO fish yet. Going thru the cycling phase, got my EI's started yesterday, and this is a new tank.

I just did it, o.0 I hope its okay. Its how I started the tank and nothing died so hopefully its fine. I need to do 50% water changes every other day, so any confirmation on this going forward would be MUCH appreciated.
Also this is a hightech 75 high light high co2

Thanks,
~Danny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 09:58 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Yes, you can add dechlorinator directly to tank when using python. This is how I do my water changes. Just make sure the temp of in going water is the same as the tank temp. Once you add fish, this is even more important as they do not like change over a short period of time. I use double the recommended dose of prime when doing my water changes just to be sure no harm comes to my fish. Haven't had a problem yet.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 10:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
When doing it this way you use the amount of dechlor appropriate for the total amount of water in the whole tank.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsunick View Post
Yes, you can add dechlorinator directly to tank when using python. This is how I do my water changes. Just make sure the temp of in going water is the same as the tank temp. Once you add fish, this is even more important as they do not like change over a short period of time. I use double the recommended dose of prime when doing my water changes just to be sure no harm comes to my fish. Haven't had a problem yet.
Quote:
Raymond : When doing it this way you use the amount of dechlor appropriate for the total amount of water in the whole tank.
Man you guys rock, this is exactly what I needed to know. You just alleviated any concerns, and now I have one less thing to worry about going forward. Also that is nice to know I should put 75 gallons worth of declor in instead of like 38gallons.

Thank you guys!!!!!!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 11:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Someday I hope to be able to do my water changes this way, do you add before or after pumping water in?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Evolve-lution Member:

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefStatic View Post
Someday I hope to be able to do my water changes this way, do you add before or after pumping water in?
Lol I was wondering the same thing. I just try and add it evenly as the new water comes in. I also try and get it in the flow. Once the water comes up enough I turn the filter back on, and then I try and pour it by the spray bar. I also found out the hard way that u have turn the filter off if ur intake isn't deep enough. The api filstar xp I have ( its new) makes a really scary noise on start up. Like a grinding, or siezing noise of the propeller... Not sure if this is the norm. I also had to prime it again. It doesn't sound pretty running dry either. The self priming thing feels like its going to break if it's not done right. Canister filters seem like a piece of equipment that you really need to read all of the instructions so you don't break it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 01:02 PM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
I add it all in as I start to fill.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode