Cloudy Water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cloudy Water

I've had fish in the tank for a month now and some plants went in about 10 days later. About a week after that I added a bunch more plants. The water consistently stays cloudy. No algae issues, plants are growing with very little die off. I've been dosing PPS Pro ferts as directed.

Tested last week: Ammonia - 0, Nitrites - .25, Nitrates - 10
Tested today: Ammonia - 0, Nitrites - 0, Nitrates - between 5 & 10

Ph is averaging 7.5 and temp is 80. I top off with RO/DI, about 2 gal per day. I did a water change last week of about 35 gal. (tank & sump total about 190 gal). I've got the sump filled with bio media and added a filstar canister to help polish the water and a place for stuff like carbon, etc. (was considering trying purigen but wasn't sure that would help this issue)

The last planted tank I had was set up for probably a year before I introduced plants and don't remember having issues with cloudiness.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 03:15 PM

dont worry bout it....its a common thing (infusoria)....with new set up's.....can sometimes take a while to settle done though
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 03:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

What substrate do you have? Could the fish be stirring it up enough to make the water cloudy? Catfish, Loaches, certain Cichlids and a few others can keep the substrate stirred up like this.

If you are running some fine, white floss, look at it. Is it green? The beginnings of green water algae can look like white or off-white cloudy water.

If you are not using floss, then add some. It can remove fine particles.

Ammonia can also make the water cloudy, but your ammonia test results look good.

Heterotrophic bacteria can make the water cloudy, but this usually just lasts a week or so.

Purigen might help.
Many people with planted tanks do not use activated carbon. Save it for emergencies.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm using pool filter sand and only have 4 cories. I do have some of the blue / white filter material in the sump that you can see is green where the water flows through it.

Bump: Anyone see any issues with topping off with RO/DI?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 03:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

RO or RO/DI is good to top off with. This is the right thing to do.

If the white part of the blue and white bonded product is showing green, this suggests it is removing something green from the water.

Green water algae is highly likely.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

That's what it looks like. Will that clear in time?

I may actually be over the hump. The water today is actually looking a little clearer that it was yesterday. Before when I looked from the end I couldn't see plants at the far end. Right now I can actually see them. Hopefully this continues!

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-15-2015 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep the forums clean
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 02:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

When the plants are thriving most algae slows down.
When something favors the algae over the plants, then algae will grow.

Removing the algae and improving conditions for the plants will usually slow down most algae well enough.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well, the clearing water didn't last long. Next day it was back to its normal cloudiness. I was wondering if maybe I was dosing too much of the ferts. Tank is heavily planted but stuff is still fairly small so I was wondering if maybe they weren't using everything that is being dosed and if I should reduce the amount until they've grown more.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Very odd...I added several bags of fish to the tank this evening and the water really clouded up. looking from the end you can't see more that about 2ft. Fish don't seem to be bothered by it. Any ideas what may be going on?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Bump anyone?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well, I'm thinking I was over dosing the ferts. Instructions call for 1ml per 10 gal so 175g = 17ml. Since I don't have it heavily planted yet I dropped it to 10ml per day. Got home this afternoon and it's been the clearest it's been so far. I ordered some purigen to see if that'll help clear it a little more.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 12:46 AM
Algae Grower

Purigen will certainly help, however, I found my cloudiness was due to the UV running in my sun sun filter. Turned one off and it went ultra clear, then tried the same on my other. What a difference, I no longer run the uv light. Good luck with yours.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode