Dumb Question ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dumb Question ?

Magnesium Sulfate is Epson salt so is there any reason you can not use say Epson salts you can get from a drug store or walmart?

Looking at the Seachem specs it says it's nitrogen macro is 1.5 %

There are many liquid garden fertilizes that you can buy and I was wondering if you could not use some of them by diluting them with the right amount of water to bring the concentration down to about the same levels as the Seachem products. Jut guessing right now as I have no exact numbers as yet but I think about 1 part fertilizer to 10 parts water and then dose the same way as the Seachem nitrogen.

I know you have to check the source for the nitrogen and you don't want the source to be ammonia nitrate but other then that why is this not a good idea if you were to say get a 19, 5,8 liquid garden fert and dilute it down. so the concentrates are similar to say the Seachem line.

As long as the liquid garden fertilizer is a simple NPK mix with some other source for the nitrogen other then ammonia nitrate why would this not work well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 12:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan386 View Post
Magnesium Sulfate is Epson salt so is there any reason you can not use say Epson salts you can get from a drug store or walmart?
No.... I got mine from a pharmacy (drug store)....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan386 View Post
There are many liquid garden fertilizes that you can buy and I was wondering if you could not use some of them by diluting them with the right amount of water to bring the concentration down to about the same levels as the Seachem products. ......

As long as the liquid garden fertilizer is a simple NPK mix with some other source for the nitrogen other then ammonia nitrate why would this not work well?
If it doesn't have ammonium you might be right, but with dry ferts being so cheap and easy, I wouldn't bother.... I did grab my K2SO4 at the hardware shop though, just leaves KNO3 and KH2PO4 (ebay)....
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 01:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
There's no reason whatsoever that you couldn't use garden fertilizer. People use osmocote pellets all the time. The danger is in ammonia based fertilizers, as lee739 pointed out. If you can find a nitrate fertilizer, you should be good.

I use a mixture of Epsom salt and calcium chloride for pools to set my RO hardness and keep Mg levels right in the tank, and potassium nitrate and phosphate as my other macro fertilizers and flourish for micro fertilizers. I've been doing it that way for 7 or 8 years now with no issues to speak of.

I can't recall, is KNO3 difficult to get in Canada? I know that some countries limit access for explosives reasons.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 02:03 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonpatterson View Post
I can't recall, is KNO3 difficult to get in Canada? I know that some countries limit access for explosives reasons.
Yeah, I think it's an issue getting it up in Canada.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 02:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

As jason says: Use Epsom salt for magnesium, but also include a calcium source.
I also get pool chemicals for some aquarium uses.

I tried the stump remover KNO3 and it does not dissolve very well, and leaves remnants in whatever containers I use to mix it.

I have Osmocote in most tanks, but I also use the dry ferts which are really agricultural grades of KNO3, KH2PO4 and K2SO4.
I am looking for some reasonable source of trace minerals. Currently using CSM+B. Actually, it probably is not too bad a price. I have looked into buying each of the chelated minerals separately, and they are not cheap.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ferts

Ya the potassium Nitrate is a bit hard to get and in either case the dry ferts you can order are not that cheap and I have 12 tanks set up. Ordering from Ebay is so so as shipping to Canada can usually doubles the price or more.

I think I will see what kind of liquid I can get and start with low doses and lots of testing to see what happens to the water parameters. A gallon of liquid fert should be pretty cheap and then a 10 to one dilution would make 10 gallons so lots for cheap.

I think I can order the macros for not a bad price and maybe so %10 iron to mix up.

If the nitrogon hasd urea that also means it is ammonia based right ?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 01:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Urea is not ammonia, but breaks down to ammonia fairly fast, so do not use a fertilizer with urea as a source of nitrogen.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode