EI with out CO2 (temporarily) worth it or wait??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
EI with out CO2 (temporarily) worth it or wait???

I ordered dry fertz from Green leaf aquariums (KH2O4,KNO3,KS2O4) and i have flourish and flourish iron. I plan to order my CO2 setup tomorrow. My question is: Is it beneficial to start dosing my tank via the EI method now(-co2) or just wait until i set up my co2?

Info on my setup:
180 gal
1800+ gph filtration
(2) Coralife 96w X (2) compact Flo. lights

Also, I realize at the moment im barely over 2 wpg. My plan was to get 2 more Coralife lights putting me at over 4 wpg. Would it be more beneficial to get my lighting before my Co2? My thought was go Co2 first, run it low. When i get my lights in the near future, turn up the Co2 as needed. Please let me know if my research/plan is headed in the right direction!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 12:36 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Honestly what I would do is run hardly any light and not fertilize until you get your Co2 setup. Having nutrients and light but no Co2 in your tank is asking for trouble. Also, I am sure you will hear this more than from just me - going to 4wpg and over is really not that great of an idea. This has been posted several times by Tom but it a great example - an ADA tank with 1.5 WPG. Point being, you don't need high light to have a beautiful tank and more than likely you will be back here in a month with algae problems which is more than likely caused by an outrageous amount of light. Here is the pic
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Thanks for the response, your right beautiful tank. i did some research on BarrReport and got a few answers there too. My plan is to go Co2 and leave my lights as they are and see where that lands me. I have had algae problems already that im getting cleared up now by cutting back on the time my lights are on and only dosing 1-2x per week. Thanks for the info/pic Kent.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 01:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (57/100%)
in general, CO2 is the most important nutrient for the plants. it would be a huge waste of nutrients to start dosing before you set up your CO2 system, and if you do, you'll probably get an algae outbreak.

Wilson
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- As of 8/10, gone nano-reef!

, last updated 1/14
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 03:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcitysfinest View Post
I ordered dry fertz from Green leaf aquariums (KH2O4,KNO3,KS2O4) and i have flourish and flourish iron. I plan to order my CO2 setup tomorrow. My question is: Is it beneficial to start dosing my tank via the EI method now(-co2) or just wait until i set up my co2?

Info on my setup:
180 gal
1800+ gph filtration
(2) Coralife 96w X (2) compact Flo. lights

Also, I realize at the moment im barely over 2 wpg. My plan was to get 2 more Coralife lights putting me at over 4 wpg. Would it be more beneficial to get my lighting before my Co2? My thought was go Co2 first, run it low. When i get my lights in the near future, turn up the Co2 as needed. Please let me know if my research/plan is headed in the right direction!
Stick with 2w/gal!!!

There is nothing you cannot grow with that much light and PC's on a 180 gal tank.

I have one and know.
I'd not bother dosing anything until you get CO2 set up, this is always the 1st priority, then the light and nutrients.
2.1 w/gal and at 12" suspended over the tank.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 06:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (23/100%)
Nice! How do you get your plants that nice and red. I have a 60 gal with a Catalina 108 watt HO T-5, EI dosing, and Excel but my plants are not that red......

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 07:08 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
From what I have heard Tom say before, he does not try to make his plants red, rather just focus on good growing conditions and overall plant health. It has been said that limiting nitrates can bring out the red in plants, but it has also been shown that in tnaks with normal to high nitrates the same reds can be achieved. Here is a good read on plant redness over at the BarrReport. http://www.barrreport.com/general-pl...red-plant.html
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 09:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Easier to change the plant, buy redder varieties of that same species etc, selection, vs trying to tweak everything. The same tweaks often do not work for other folks.

Lots of variables, good CO2 has always seemed like a factor, but that's a factor for a nice tank where CO2 is used............even well run non CO2 tanks do well with red color species.

Still, stick with CO2, moderate light. Unless you like more work, less fudge factor and less wiggle room in your routine.

That's about all you gain from more light.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 04:56 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL15219 View Post
Nice! How do you get your plants that nice and red. I have a 60 gal with a Catalina 108 watt HO T-5, EI dosing, and Excel but my plants are not that red......
photoshop

I know enough to know that I don't know anything

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode