EI mixing - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
EI mixing

Ok im new to fertilizing and ordered a kit from NilocG and wondering how to mix this in a container so I don't have to do it daily and have the correct dose. Help! LOL Any online calculators around?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 02:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel
Can't mix micros(csm+b) with macros(npk). There are quite a few calculators around, the ratios/tank you need I'm pretty sure are stickied at the top of the fertilizer subforum. Idk if youre wanting to mix them as a liquid or just dry but that should be covered in the sticky as well as any calculator you might find. There's a thread on the calculators in there too.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

SunSun Pimp # 42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I were to mix this recipe with 500 ML of water id dose 5 ML of each on alternating days of the macro and micro fert?
5ml/10 gallons

KNO3 46.3 gm (approximately 9 teaspoons)
KH2PO4 7 gm (approximately 1 1/4 teaspoons)
Plantex CSM+B 29 gm (approximately 6 3/4 teaspoons)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 02:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Here is the concept:
1) Figure out how much fertilizer you will be giving the tanks over a one week (or 2 week, or whatever) period.
Here is a copy of the recipe stickied at the top of this forum.

20~40gal
50% H20 change-weekly
1/4 Tsp-KN03 3x a week
1/16 Tsp-KH2P04 3x aweek
1/2 Tsp-GH booster once a week
5ml or 1/16Tsp-Trace 3x a week
Optional
1-2ml-Fe/Iron 3x a week

"If dosing a 10gal highlight C02 enriched tank,
divide above regime x2"

2) Put that much into 2 containers.
a) KNO3+ KH2PO4 + K2SO4 (if you are using it)
b) CSM+B and Iron

3) Do some figuring:
Add up all the gallons of all your tanks.
Divide by 3. Multiply by how many days' worth you are making.
Put that many milliliters into the bottles. (ie: if you have 60 gallons worth of tanks, then put 20ml of water into each bottle for each day you will dose)

4) Dose is 1ml per 3 gallons of tank volume.
Dose macros 3 days per week, and micros the other 3 days.

If the tank is a moderate light tank, then just skip a day, and dose 2 days of macros and 2 days of micros.
A low light tank might just be dosed one day of macros, and one day of micros.
A high light tank is better dosed more often, rather than adding several days worth of fertilizer all in one day. The every-other-day schedule seems to work really well.

If you need more help, then tell us what size tank or tanks, how much light and CO2 you are giving them, how well planted they are, and what does the NO3 test show through the week. Is NO3 accumulating between water changes? Or dropping?

Last edited by Diana; 06-14-2015 at 03:09 PM. Reason: *
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have 2 tanks. One is a 15 and the other is a 14 gallon. I just ordered a pressurized co2 setup. Im currently using DIY co2. Lights on both tanks are a Finnex planted + they are moderately to heavily planted. I have no idea what the NO3 reading is. Thank you for the help!

Bump: Just tested NO3 and its 40. Today is water change day.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 03:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

So, here is how I would do this:
Total gallons: 29. (round it to 30 for easy math)

Looks like you are heading for a high tech tank, so lets use the maximum EI dosing. You can actually add less to the tanks, if you think full EI dosing is too much. Monitor the NO3.
In a high tech tank the plants ought to remove all the NO3 from fish food, and the NO3 from fertilizer might climb slowly through the week, perhaps hitting 20+ppm by the end of the week.

EI for 30 gallons for 2 weeks:
1-1/8 Tsp-KN03
1/4 Tsp-KH2P04

1/4 Tsp-CSM+B

Water for 2 weeks:
In two weeks you would dose macros 6 times. You would use 5ml in each tank, each time. (2 tanks x 5ml per dose x 6 doses) = 60 ml.

So, put 60 ml of water into the macros bottle, and 60 ml of water into the micros bottle.

Dose macros 3 days per week @ 1ml per 3 gallons of tank volume.
Does micros the alternate 3 days per week @ 1 ml per 3 gallons of tank volume.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Awesome thank you for explaining that to me!

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 07:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. Looks like you got it figured out, but let me know if you have any other questions.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yep all taken care of Thank you for the ferts!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 12:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I like the way Diana calculates solutions. It's easy and requires basically no math. However, the initial dose needs to be very close to what you need in the end. The doses mentioned from the sticky are not actually accurate for EI. Plantex is much lower and KH2PO4 seems high (although no harm there). KH2PO4 would be closer to 1/32 rather than 1/16.

The dose of Plantex for true EI would be 1/4 teaspoon not 1/16. The sticky does not suggest Plantex but instead "trace".

The solution you found...

Quote:
KNO3 46.3 gm (approximately 9 teaspoons)
KH2PO4 7 gm (approximately 1 1/4 teaspoons)
Plantex CSM+B 29 gm (approximately 6 3/4 teaspoons)
The recipe you found is actually closer to true EI dosing.

Your current nitrate levels are sufficient. Will it change with increased water changes and CO2? Probably. There is no need for KNO3 if you can maintain 20 ppm or higher. If you don't dose KNO3 you need to dose K2SO4 (or any potassium source).

We can all suggest what you may need but the truth is you need to understand why we say this.

Give this a read...https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...945&highlight=

Hopefully, you'll understand why I have reservations on your new dosing regime. If you do feel free to ask questions.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 01:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks, Zorfox. I was wondering which trace was used in the EI recipe as it is posted in the fertilizer sticky.

I will adjust my EI recipe to have more CSM+B.
I have been testing about 1 ppm phosphorus, but the iron has almost never shown any more than a trace.
I will double the CSM+B but I won't alter the KH2PO4 for my own use.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 02:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Thanks, Zorfox. I was wondering which trace was used in the EI recipe as it is posted in the fertilizer sticky.

I will adjust my EI recipe to have more CSM+B.
I have been testing about 1 ppm phosphorus, but the iron has almost never shown any more than a trace.
I will double the CSM+B but I won't alter the KH2PO4 for my own use.
I just noticed this a week or so ago.

A typical EI dose of Plantex or any Trace mix is based on iron content. Typical calculations target 0.5 ppm or iron per dose. If you crunch the number in the sticky the trace doses using Plantex are significantly low.

Which Trace mix was used when doing the calculations? I have no idea. The sticky shows a Plantex dry dose to solution but I don't understand it.

All I can say is that nutrient calculations are straightforward. Nothing magical, just simple math. The numbers given are not EI doses. Why? Again, no idea.

Will the lower trace amount work if we add additional iron? That's something I have often wondered about and and yet to test. My gut tells me that we don't need as much trace elements as suggested yet the additional iron could be useful. However, that is PURE conjecture. I have not tested that theory.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode