How do I use powdered fertilizer? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How do I use powdered fertilizer?

I ordered some ferts from Green Leaf, and now have no idea what to do with them. I was thinking it would come with instructions. Can anyone help me? This is what I got:

Potassium sulfate
plantex csm+b
potassium nitrate
monopotassium phosphate

I have a 55 high tech tank, lots of light and co2 and plants.

thanks,
Tracy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 02:28 AM
Banned

PTrader: (2/100%)
Check these threads:

http://www.barrreport.com/estimative...chy-folks.html

http://www.barrreport.com/estimative...test-kits.html

The forum they came from is excellent. It's owner, Plantbrain is a member here.

65 gallon journal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 02:29 AM
Aroid Addict

PTrader: (76/100%)
You may find this helpful. You do need an account on APC to use the Fertilator, though. With this, you can work out exactly how much of each fert you need to add to get to a certain level

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...fertilator.php

Got Plants?-6 CO2 + 12 H2O → C6H12O6 + 6 O2 + 6 H2O

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---

Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 06:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Oops wrote the wrong thing for this post and then erased it

75g, pair of gold rams , ABN, 1 adult 2 young discus, 2oto's, 6ADF's, 3 anglefish. 96w 6700k-light 6hrs raised, No C02, Excel, EI dry macro's and micro's, Eheim 2126, 18w UV, 2 Nano 270 powerhead. wall of bubbles for more O2 for such a deep tank.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 04:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kid creole View Post
Check these threads:

http://www.barrreport.com/estimative...chy-folks.html

http://www.barrreport.com/estimative...test-kits.html

The forum they came from is excellent. It's owner, Plantbrain is a member here.
X2... great sources for answers to your question.

Rex Grigg also has a section on his site that tells you how many parts per million you will add of each fertilizer based on a given volume of water but you are probably better off learning about and dosing EI style unless you are absolutely sure of the concentrations you want to target...

http://www.rexgrigg.com/dosing.htm
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Craig has provided a nice sticky here on Planted Tank Forum!
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/wa...-regimes_.html

That being said, it would be best to do some research on which dosing regimen works best for your tank specifications.

Keep in mind, nothing in planted tank dosing is set in stone.

- Orlando
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Question: can you dose your tank with dry ferts and not do 50% water changes every week? Because I do not have my own RO unit yet, and am not going to lug 25 gallons of water from the store every week.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 01:49 AM
Banned

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
Question: can you dose your tank with dry ferts and not do 50% water changes every week? Because I do not have my own RO unit yet, and am not going to lug 25 gallons of water from the store every week.
Quit using RO is the most common option. Unless your hardness is off the charts, and you are keeping Discus, or some other sensitive fish, you're about to hear a chorus of people who use tap.

65 gallon journal:

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I would LOVE to quit using RO water. I was on my way to gradually going back to tap and someone told me that would be bad. I have a couple angelfish, but I would sacrifice them for not having to use RO water.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 03:57 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
I would LOVE to quit using RO water. I was on my way to gradually going back to tap and someone told me that would be bad. I have a couple angelfish, but I would sacrifice them for not having to use RO water.
My tap PH is 8.2. I have a couple of discus that are doing great in that water. As long as you aren't trying to breed them and you make the change gradually, the fish would adapt.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Tracy, while you are over at APC, look up PPS Pro. It is a leaner dosing regimen than EI and it does not require drastic water changes. You should be able to find the formula on APC. Or just google "PPS Pro".

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 11:25 PM
FSM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
You're wasting your time with RO water.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 01:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Some people have terrible water from private wells. They do have a good reason to use RO water. Few others do, unless they are really intent on breeding a few selected species of fish. Just for normal aquarium use, almost all public water system tap water is fine.

But, your question was whether you have to do big water changes if you use dry chemicals for fertilizers. The answer is no, you don't, unless you are following an Estimative Index type of fertilizing program. That method is based on dosing a bit more of each fertilizer than the plants really need, which could cause an excessive buildup of some of the nutrients over time. To avoid that we replace about half of the water per week, getting rid of any excessive nutrients.

You can also get and calibrate some good test kits, and use them to monitor the level of each nutrient in the water, so you can adjust your dosing and not over dose at all.

Or, you can use one of the lean dosing methods, where you dose less than what the plants need, and accept the slower growth and possible problems that can be caused by that. No doubt at all, the Estimative Index method is the easiest to follow, but it does require regular big water changes.

Hoppy
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have no problem with the 50% water change once a week as long as it's not RO water, so I'm switching over to straight tap. Slowly of course. Right now I don't really have any expensive fish to worry about so if something dies it's OK. Thanks for all the advice.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 09:49 PM
Avi
Planted Tank Obsessed

I would just suggest that before you switch to the tap water, you test it for nitrates and, probably more importantly for phosphates. If there are any significant readings regarding your particuar water source, you may want to adjust some of the dosages. If you don't have the test kits fro one or both, I'm sure a fish store would do it for you.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode