10 Gallon Seachem Ferts EI Help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
10 Gallon Seachem Ferts EI Help

I'm running a 10 gallon tank. I have Seachem Excel, Flourish, Potassium, Phosphate. Root tabs are also used. Lighting is 2 13W 6500K bulbs.

What should my dosing look like to emulate the EI?

I am attempting to make my dwarf hairgrass carpet, so far it has remained sparse, but it does have runners in the playground sand substrate, but most shoots become brown and die within a week or so. The tank also has a large anubias nana, 1 small Myrio(the others melted when first added to the tank), and a medium sized water sprite that floats.

The tank contains 1 betta and 4 false julii catfish.

Currently I do a 10% water change every 5-7 days.

I have been dosing:
1ml Excel and 1ml Potassium every other day
2ml Excel every other day
2ml Flourish every water change

I'm thinking about changing to:
2ml Excel daily
1ml Potassium every other day
1ml Flourish every other day

Should I be dosing Phosphate regularly? 1ml along with the Potassium perhaps? I believe I have enough nitrates from the fish. Should I dose my Potassium?

I'm wary of algae growth. I had issues with Blackbeard algae that I got under control by dropping light from 6 hours to 4 hours, the tank also gets some sunlight. I believe a lack of co2 is a large reason why I had algae, I'm getting a DIY co2 setup going this month.

How much excel is too much? I'm afraid of suffocating the fish lol. Could I dose 3ml daily?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 10:16 PM
Planted Member

I am doing the same thing on my 10g. I was really overdosing on my tank so I would recommend doing the same as I was advised to do

Seachem Flourish---------------------1ml x 2 days a week = 2ml/week
Seachem Flourish Iron---------------1ml x 2 days a week = 2ml/week
Seachem Flourish Excel--------------1ml x 7 days a week = 7ml/week
Seachem Flourish Nitrogen---------- depending on your bio load in the tank you may not need to add any
Seachem Flourish Phosphorous----- depending on your bio load in the tank you may not need to add any
Seachem Flourish Potassium--------1.5ml x 2 days a week = 3ml/week
Seachem Flourish Trace-------------2.5ml x 1 days a week = 2.5 ml/week

50% water changes 2 times a week.

This has worked very well for me.

I do not know how this compares to EI but I will be following your thread to see what others advise.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Torn down 10/2018

Current Build

Last edited by MEandYouPhoto; 06-08-2015 at 10:17 PM. Reason: update
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 01:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
I might have participated in this discussion before.
Nitrogen and Phosphorus should not bottom out.
I would use a test kit to check levels and not just make a prediction or assumption.

Growing is not that difficult.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Can doing 50% water changes hurt the fish? Twice a week seems like a lot.

I do not yet have Iron and Trace, how necessary are these if I'm using root tabs every 3 months?

I will test my water tonight and post parameters for nitrates and phosphate, is it generally better to test water at night after the lights go out?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 02:57 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakta1618 View Post
Can doing 50% water changes hurt the fish? Twice a week seems like a lot.

I do not yet have Iron and Trace, how necessary are these if I'm using root tabs every 3 months?

I will test my water tonight and post parameters for nitrates and phosphate, is it generally better to test water at night after the lights go out?
If I remember correctly "EI Method" calls for a 50% water change weekly.

I had started doing 50% water changes twice weekly because my nitrates were outrageous due to overstocking. My fish and plants seem to do doing fine. As far as the root tabs. I do not use those. I use DIY Osmocote Plus root tabs. I have plants that benefit from iron but I can imagine it will depend on your plants on if you need it or not.

Torn down 10/2018

Current Build
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 06:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEandYouPhoto View Post
I am doing the same thing on my 10g. I was really overdosing on my tank so I would recommend doing the same as I was advised to do

Seachem Flourish---------------------1ml x 2 days a week = 2ml/week
Seachem Flourish Iron---------------1ml x 2 days a week = 2ml/week
Seachem Flourish Excel--------------1ml x 7 days a week = 7ml/week
Seachem Flourish Nitrogen---------- depending on your bio load in the tank you may not need to add any
Seachem Flourish Phosphorous----- depending on your bio load in the tank you may not need to add any
Seachem Flourish Potassium--------1.5ml x 2 days a week = 3ml/week
Seachem Flourish Trace-------------2.5ml x 1 days a week = 2.5 ml/week

50% water changes 2 times a week.

This has worked very well for me.

I do not know how this compares to EI but I will be following your thread to see what others advise.

To get to EI levels you will have to dose way more than 2ml per week or flourish, its closer to 15ml.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 09:09 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilocg View Post
To get to EI levels you will have to dose way more than 2ml per week or flourish, its closer to 15ml.
on a 10 gallon tank?

Torn down 10/2018

Current Build
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 09:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yes assuming the following calculator is correct: http://yanc.rotalabutterfly.com/
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilocg View Post
So 5ml 3x a week is what the calculator seems to be saying? However it does give a range of 2-4x a week, how should I be deciding how often to dose? Same situation for Potassium.

The main component it looks to be going for is Fe. Is there a point in terms of plant growth in dosing Flourish over straight Flourish Iron?

Phosphorus wants 12ml 2-4x a week, does that seem a bit high to you? Is there any truth behind excess phosphate feeding algae?

Are there any risks for my fish by doing 50% wc weekly?

Thanks for your help all
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 12:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Normal EI dosing is 3x per week for both micros and macros. You need to dose a complete micronutrient fertilizer, while the calculator only looks at the iron you also need the rest of the micronutrients. 50% water change is a benefit for the fish.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 01:15 AM
Algae Grower

Here's a great thread with EI dosing recipes for any size tank -

EI Dosing Recipes

It assumes you are using the raw ferts listed, so you may have to see if you can convert the Seachem products to the recipes. I mix them myself using plastic bottles with built-in dosing reservoirs to dose 15 ml, 3 times a week. I also dry dose Plantex CSM+B. Because of its low solubility, it just clogs dosing bottles. I finish out the week with a 50% water change on a day that I don't dose.

It's been working great for me in my 55 G planted community.

Last edited by photi; 06-10-2015 at 01:40 AM. Reason: added pic
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 03:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If you are able to get the macros to mix you should easily be able to get the micros mixed. What was your recipe for the micros?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The Flourish Root Tabs contain Iron. Is there a way to estimate how much iron they release into the water column? How can I tell if my tank needs more Iron? I have been adding root tabs every 3 months.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode