Skimmer vs. CO2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/92%)
Skimmer vs. CO2

I am using RedSea's CO2 sytem (expensive DIY) and had finally been getting good results with the new delivery method (Reactor 200 from PlantGuild) to the point that my drop checker was close to going yellow. However, since I added a surface skimmer to my filter intake its gone back to blue. The reactor seems to be working normally, but I know there is increased aeration going on because of the skimmer. Forgive my ignorance, but would the increased aeration cause the CO2 to be less effective? I don't think the CO2 generator should be losing so much steam yet since it was refilled about 18 days ago. Any shared knowledge would be much appreciated-

"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook." -William James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 02:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
increased aeration lets the co2 escape unfortunately. Its not that the water can't handle added air. Its just the process of adding air, removes co2.

You want as little surface movement as possible. That includes your skimmer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

----------The Tank---------------------------The Car--------------------------The Life-----------
Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks- at least it has a "shut-off" feature. I guess I just won't use it much, or maybe get rid of it altogether. As you know, I have a small tank (16gal.) and the skimmer attachment requires more room than I expected.
On the previous subject, I'm "re-working" the tank today per your helpful input- got the extra bucket and some ziplocs this morning (taking the day off to get a 4 day weekend)- I hope my reconfig goes as well as yours did. Thanks again for the help-

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 03:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, your other option is to put it on a timer, and run it at night. This would actually be beneficial to plants and fish.

Though honestly for your size tank, I would remove it b/c of the added eq on the tank...

James

----------The Tank---------------------------The Car--------------------------The Life-----------
Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It's mechanical (the Ehiem "surface extractor") so the timer won't work. In other news, I have finally completed the "re-work" project we discussed earlier. It took longer than I had anticipated, but there was lag time due to water temperature and it seemed like the amount of plants I was putting back was much more than I had taken out (a perception issue, no doubt, but nonetheless bothersome). Anyhow, the good news is all fish are still alive- at least for now...

"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook." -William James

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 08:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thats funny. The same thing happened to me when I reworked my tank. I had to remove one stem plant entirely. alot of other things needed major trimming. Even though I was going into the same size tank.

Thats what happens when you rework things I guess.

Yea, should of mentioned that you need to match the water temp coming out of the faucet, sorry. I used a thermometer at the faucet to do that....

Oh...and um...at this stage...

THIS THREAD IS USELESS W/O PICS!!!

We want to see your new tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode