Lowering Ph with Co2. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lowering Ph with Co2.

Hi guys,

So im trying to raise my Co2 PPM by lowering my Ph with increasing my Co2.

I currently have pressurized co2 going into a Sera 500 reactor, i dont see my Ph going down at all.

Tank size is a 110 gallon.

Ph: 7.4
Kh: 5

I can lower my KH by using mixed RO water/tap but i dont want to over do it. What do you guys suggest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 01:53 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

tank a sample of tank water, toss a air diffuser in it for an hour and check the pH. Thats your baseline after degassing it.

a tank of that size is going to need quite a bit of co2, from what I have researched it gets tricky to dissolve enough co2 fast enough for tanks larger than 90g.

should be able to leave your parameters alone.. I wonder how well that reactor works on a tank of your size.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5 Gal Tropic Nano w/SunSun 603b,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 03:29 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
As already stated, it takes a lot of co2 on a large tank. My 75s bubble counter is so fast I can't count them, it's a steady stream. I'd slowly keep bumping it up until you start noticing a fall in pH or negative effects on fauna.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well that worked, did the bubbler test, It was 7.4. Tested my water after and it dropped to 7.2. A solid 7.2. Ppm goes up to 9.

I turned the co2 up last night so makes sense. Turned it up more to see where it gets at now.

Also, do you guys put co2 on a timer? I'm thinking of just leaving it on due to it have to be so much to get the co2 levels up.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 04:34 AM
Algae Grower

My understanding is that people usually use manifolds on the regulator in order to have multiple spots on the tank for CO2. I know you're using an inline system, but you could have another pump into a reactor or a second diffuser in the tank. Also do you have a lot of surface agitation or is there circulation in the tank to mix around the CO2 output? Does it look completely dissolved out of the reactor when it enters the tank? What filter do you have on it?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm running 2 eheim 2217, and that makes sense to have two reactors. I have quite a bit of surface agitation as well as a surface skimmer connect to second filter.

Get this though within 1 to 2 hours of increasing the co2, the Ph dropped to 6.8. I will check again in the morning because I will be leaving it on 24 7.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 05:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Lowering Ph with Co2.

If you leave it on the whole night there's a chance that oxygen may become limited to the point where fish could suffocate. It's best to make changes and watch for change in Ph during the day when you can monitor it.

Last edited by Mathman; 06-04-2015 at 12:09 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 08:01 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

what ppm are you shooting for? if your not pushing the edge you can run it 24/7 on a tank of your size, but either way right now you need to keep close eye on your fish and pH, first sign of trouble kill the co2 and toss that diffuser in the tank.

plants wont use the co2 at night, if you keep adding it without the consumption by morning you potentially gas your fish.. this is something you have to decide for your environment and setup..
If you have a solenoid, use it with a separate timer to reach your goals by lights on and turn off an hour or two before lights out..
If you dont have a solenoid you can put an air-diffuser or power head on a timer to come on at night to gass off a bit of excess co2
And the most elegant solution is a pH controller that maintains your desired level through the co2 solenoid and a pH probe, this adjusts to variable lighting on its own.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 12:45 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
If you were to use a controller (Milwaukee?), you could set your pH where you were happy with it and have no further worries other than calibrating the probe every three months or so. Works well for me, just a ,suggestion...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I will say that my surface skimmer creates some good aeration with the filter. I have not noticed the fish acting weird.

I checked my ph this morning and it went down to 6.6, which is a little low for my liking. turned back up just a hair and see where its at during the day.

6.6 makes the Co2 ppm at 37. So 6.8 is more ideal.

Im trying to reach around 20 ppm levels for co2.

For the controllers, im not to sure how those work. do they communicate with co2 solenoid? I will also get a nother timer and put the co2 on that and do the 2 hours before lights turn on and 1 hour before turn off.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 05:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

you plug the co2 solenoid into the pH controller, set your ideal pH and when pH reaches your set point it shuts off, when it rises above the set point it turns back on..

with this you set up your regulator/diffuser to dissolve as much as it can handle then the controller cycles the co2 solenoid to keep you right at the pH you desire.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode