macro ferts crystallizing? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
macro ferts crystallizing?

So I made a solution of macro using zorfox calculations and after I had it in the fridge for a day or two, it started to crystallizing at the bottom... Is this normal?

Here is the mix I had done for the macro
500ml spring drinking water, 20 ml per dosing every other day

Macro Mix
KNO3 - 104.2 gm
KH2PO4 - 15.9 gm (I double this to help prevent GSA to around 20-30 gm)
K2SO4 - 42.4 gm

This is to dose for a 90 gallon of water.

So can anyone tell me why my mix is starting to crystallizing ? If I dose the crystal, will it dissolve in to the water?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 01:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
You may have added so much it will not stay dissolved. Especially when you chill it.

Shake well before using. It may look a bit cloudy or not. Either way is OK. Just try to dissolve the material at the bottom. It will keep settling out each time, so just shake it each time.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I mix it with warm water and at the time it was totally dissolve when I had mix it but one it with into the fridge it started to crystal after 2 days...

Also when mixing the mix out in water, do they need to be place in the fridge or can they just be ok at room temp without getting moldy?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 01:13 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (127/100%)
K2SO4 has a tendency to solidify, or at least cake up. That is probably the main culprit. I wouldnt keep the macros chilled, that will only make it worse. Micros are the only thing that *may benefit from refrigeration.

As Diana said, just shake it up well each time and it should be fine. Mine occasionally has a few crystals in it (think salt) I just dose normally and dont worry about it....but you do need to shake it well to get it as even as possible for when you pour out a capful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 02:43 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Just split the concentrations in half (or double up the water volume to 1l) and then dose twice as much each time. K2SO4 isn't all that soluble.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 03:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
The fact you're using spring drinking water may be your issue as well. Try using distilled/reverse osmosis water. The spring water has dissolved solids in it which leaves less room for the ferts you're trying to dissolve.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I will keep that in mind and try to give it a really good hard shake before dosing the macro

But do I need to fridge the macro and micro or will room temp be good enough that it won't mold up?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 04:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
You are pushing the solubility of the ferts at room or warmer temps as it is. Once you cool the water in the fridge the solubilities are reduced and that is why it falls out of solution. Macros usually dont have an issue with molding so no need to keep them in the fridge anyways.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So macros are fine out side in room temp

And

Micro is better left in the fridge to provent molding

Correct me if I am wrong here
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 10:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Putting the micros in the fridge will probably slow the growth of mold, but wont stop it from happening. Adding some excel to the bottles will also help. Even if they do mold you can still use them, it wont hurt anything.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode