Use of organics in tanks? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Use of organics in tanks?

I have a huge hobby in biochem, but I'm not an expert on the subject and no formal education on the matter. For the past few years, I've been feeding my front lawn a mix of organic protein animal feeds (e.g. soybean meal, alfalfa pellets, corn gluten meal) with a huge success and neighborhood envy with how thick dark green my turf looks. That got me thinking, why not apply some of the same concepts to my planted aquarium?

I know the microbe life in your lawn's dirt are a little different than in the aquarium, but organic matter breakdown is still possible from what I've observed (though a little slower). I assume you would want to avoid high levels of Nitrogen. Alfalfa meal however seems like a good choice to put in a pill tab, and use as a root tab. The NPK is most of the time 2-1-2, which is a nice lower level dose for stability (for us non-CO2 users). There's also the added benefit that alfalfa breaks down and provides, iron, calcium, magnesium, sodium, and other trace elements. If I should avoid any nitrogen at all, a lot of fruit skins would be just as good (e.g. banana, apple, grapefruit). The more attractive point is the price, as I usually grab a 50lb bag of alfalfa pellets for $15.

Any thoughts or any one actually doing something like this already?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 04:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Dry chemicals, KNO3, KH2PO4, and a trace element mix, are very cheap. Enough of them to last a year costs maybe $10. Based on that I don't see any benefit to switching to organics which have to decompose in the tank before the plants can benefit from them. Also, organics tend to decompose to ammonia, which can be harmful in an aquarium, and some of the breakdown products can color the water yellow or brown.

Hoppy
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 04:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
To be honest, I use plenty of organics on my own lawn, and also get great results.. Personally, I think the biggest difference is the micronutrients that naturally occur in them.. I've tested my soil, it is low on Zn, Cu, Mn and B, but has lots of Fe.

My neighbors tossing down bags of commercial lawn fertilizers get NPK, and Fe, but usually no other micros.

In the planted tank realm, we generally supplement micros directly with CSM +b, along with calcium sulfate and magnesium sulfate. This gets us the micronutrients, without the ammonia production caused by decaying organics.

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 08:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think adding organics to break down (which is generally what we try and avoid) would lead to algae outbreaks....
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 11:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Miracle grow organic choice is about as far as I go with organic soils and I normally mix it with peat/cat litter to get a bit more life from the soil.
Most say that the soil peter's out from nutrient standpoint after a year, but with the mixture I use, maybe three year's.
Noted the other day that my val's and crypt's, along with the water sprite are growing more slowly than they were for the last three year's so I plan to re-do the tank this weekend with same mixture for substrate.
Will give me a chance to re-paint the back glass,and attach lighting support to the back of the stand rather than the ends.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 11:48 AM
Qwe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Sounds like it's experimentation time, to me...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwe View Post
Sounds like it's experimentation time, to me...
The other's are most likely right. Since the protein content is extremely high, I know when proteins break down, it results in ammonia. I'll still throw some in a cup of water and test it, but I think I know the results.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode