Safe level of KH2PO4 ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Safe level of KH2PO4 ?

I heard from one of our GURU's that using a 1/64 tsp of it gives you more than needed in a 10g tank. And that this fert is one of the main ones which can easily be overdone.
But...I'm seeing symptoms that may be related to not enough of it
according to a thread on deficiencies.
So could I use double that amount in a 10g without hurting anything as long as I do the 50% water changes each week ?
Safe or not ?

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 02:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Short answer, it would be okay to dose more.

I don't agree with using such small measures when dosing. It's simply not accurate enough.

Let's say you like a teaspoon of sugar in your coffee. Now add the same amount of powdered sugar. Too sweet isn't it? That's because you're actually adding a lot more because there is little air space between the crystals. This just shows that consistency of fertilizers effects the dosage.

When you get down to measures less than say a quarter teaspoon, you're better off mixing a solution IMO.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 10:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think it depends on what you mean by 'safe'.... Safe for plants, fish, safe for the algae-free state of your tank?

I don't use teaspoons (I agree with Zorfox about solutions), but I would estimate 1/64 teasp would be about 0.2g of KH2PO4, which would give you around 4ppm in 10gal. I would vote for safe on all accounts.... More than needed? - maybe... How often do you want to add it?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 12:06 PM
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
1 teaspoon of KHPO4 should be about 6 grams, so 1/64 should be about 0.1 g.
Adding 0.1 g into 10g tank (38L) gives you concentration of 1.8 ppm PO4.
I don't say it's safe or not, but I don't know of any scientific paper which deals with the toxicity of phosphates on aquatic critters. That said, I know that even quite small amount of NO3 (1-5 mg/ℓ NO3) can cause increase in mortality with some sensitive kinds of invertebrates (in juvenile stages, fry, fingerlings or fish eggs). Adult fish and invertebrates can tolerate much higher NO3 concentrations (often more than 400 ppm). I would assume that similar results may apply for PO4.

Although 30 ppm NO3 and 3 ppm PO4 can cause no death of adults, it doesn't mean it is safe and harmless for eggs or fry. The increase of mortality of fish eggs or fry due to increased concentration of these nutrients is not something you can easily observe.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 01:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I dose my 40b with 1/4tsp 4x a week of K2SO4 KH2PO4 and KNO3 and 3x a week with 1/8tsp of CSM+B. No algae problems, no fauna problems, excessive nutrients don't cause algae problems, alls good in the hood

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 02:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
For several years I have been dosing KH2PO4 at double what the EI tables call for, to control green spot algae. It works fine. No fish problems, but I don't breed fish or have shrimp in my tank.

Hoppy
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 02:43 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (127/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
For several years I have been dosing KH2PO4 at double what the EI tables call for, to control green spot algae. It works fine. No fish problems, but I don't breed fish or have shrimp in my tank.
I do the same, no shrimp either though

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode