Ei fert guidance lol - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Ei fert guidance lol

Just trying to figure out the schedual for dosing and what i really need and dont need.
SO i got the GLA EI ferts which came with
KH2PO4
KNO3
K2SO4
Plantx CSM+B
So correct me if im wrong, but i believe the Micro nutrients is the Plantex CSM+B and the others are the Macro nutrients?
I will be dosing the following method until i get a milligram scale next week.
40-60 gal
1/4-KNO3
1/16- KH2PO4
1/16- K2SO4
1/16- Plantex

DO i even need to dose the Plantex? My tank is a high tech 60Gallon that was just heavily planted yesturday.
Plant list-
Pogostemon erectus
Pogostemon helferi
pinnatifida
AR mini
Eleocharis sp. Mini
Rotala indica
s repens
etc.....
I dont think these plants are nutrient hogs so i dont think i will need to dose the plantex plus i have llike 4bags or 5bags of ada aqua soil so will i?
Also whats the best way to dose for the week? Like what days should i dose each, or does it really not matter? I was thinking....
Monday- Macro
Tuesday- Micro
Wednesday- Macro
Thursday- Micro
Friday- Macro
Saturday-micro
Sunday- 50% water change
No really sure if i can can dose the micro and macro on the same day so thats why i split them up, but if i can then that would cut the days dosing in half which wouldn't that be a little heavy on the plants?

Im totally new to this EI fert dosing so bare with me lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 02:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
So now we see where that wood is going...
You have substantially more patience than I. No way I'd plant all that anything like as neat as you did.
#1 You are correct, the Plantex is the micros.
#2 Where did you get that dosing list from ? Just curious...
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21944
#3 What size is your tank ?
Instead of using the 40-60 list I think you might should use the 20-40 list.
Likely I should wait on the tank size before making that statement.
But then I will say that until some plant growth is obtained(3 weeks maybe) I'd
only use one dose per week. You do have a lot of plants, but most being very small yet
and not really growing yet either.
If there is any sound scientific info on this I know not, but IMO ferts in a dirted tank extend the life of the dirt, nutrient wise. The plants can't take in more than they can take in and with added ferts they have two sources. After thought being that I am skeptical of DHG being able to draw nutrients from the water as well as they can from roots due to surface aria of those "leaves".
Plants use ammonia so it won't hurt them, but I'd hold off on fish/shrimp for a while till
it goes down...watch for it...

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
So now we see where that wood is going...
You have substantially more patience than I. No way I'd plant all that anything like as neat as you did.
#1 You are correct, the Plantex is the micros.
#2 Where did you get that dosing list from ? Just curious...
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21944
#3 What size is your tank ?
Instead of using the 40-60 list I think you might should use the 20-40 list.
Likely I should wait on the tank size before making that statement.
But then I will say that until some plant growth is obtained(3 weeks maybe) I'd
only use one dose per week. You do have a lot of plants, but most being very small yet
and not really growing yet either.
If there is any sound scientific info on this I know not, but IMO ferts in a dirted tank extend the life of the dirt, nutrient wise. The plants can't take in more than they can take in and with added ferts they have two sources. After thought being that I am skeptical of DHG being able to draw nutrients from the water as well as they can from roots due to surface aria of those "leaves".
Plants use ammonia so it won't hurt them, but I'd hold off on fish/shrimp for a while till
it goes down...watch for it...
Yea i have had the tank filled with no plants for the past 7d ays doing 70% water changes each day to try and kick start getting the ammonia out from the soil. I got my plants yesterday and planted them all at once(took me forrever lol). The tank is 60gallons. So you are suggesting that i just dose the Micro and Macro one day per week for the first few weeks while the plants are adjusting and growing? I got the dosing list from Green Leaf aquarium. But i plan to use a Milligram scale and get the correct dosing for the tank size.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 03:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

60...well that's why I said I should wait for the size to suggest a dose.
I'd go/w the 40-60g list, but yes I'd use one dose per week(two days micro/macro)
at least till growth is noticeable.
Personally I think that scale idea will get old after a while because the EI is made to
safely overdose the tank to prevent shortages. Doesn't actually do that if you have any nutrient hogs like Hygro. But does in most cases. But then that why you NEED a 50% water change(even/w one dose) to keep from it building up if not used.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
60...well that's why I said I should wait for the size to suggest a dose.
I'd go/w the 40-60g list, but yes I'd use one dose per week(two days micro/macro)
at least till growth is noticeable.
Personally I think that scale idea will get old after a while because the EI is made to
safely overdose the tank to prevent shortages. Doesn't actually do that if you have any nutrient hogs like Hygro. But does in most cases. But then that why you NEED a 50% water change(even/w one dose) to keep from it building up if not used.
Makes sense! Thanks a lot for all the help Ray!!!!! Yea thats very true and honestly that's why i added the plant list to the thread because knowing how some plants are with nutrients, that method cant work for everyone. I plant to get the milligram scale and start with the correct lvl of dosing for my tank size and then adjust to the plants needs.

Forgot to ask, would you suggest i separate the dosing Macros and Micros by 2day like Monday then wednesday or should i dose monday tuesday?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 04:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I don't see a benefit to skipping a day between.
Don't think the indica(true?) has that problem, but I fairly often hear people/w
Macrandra/Magenta having stunting issues/w it. That(indica) plant I'd put in the faster growing category to help/w the algae. But I have had the worst time getting some Magenta to grow well. Mentioned that one because the rest of my plants seem to be growing well. I have a 10g(2) that has one T5 bulb and 2x Excel. I use one only dose
of the EI as per the calculator per week. The Macros just after the WC and the Micros the next day.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 05:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
It is important to understand the plants macro needs, and the ferts you dose:
Macros: Nitrogen, Potassium and Phosphorus - Plants need a relatively large amount of nitrogen and potassium to grow. By dosing KNO3 you provide all the nitrogen, and much of the potassium. By dosing KH2PO4, you provide all the phosphorus, and some potassium. Of course there can be other nitrogen and phosphorus sources (tap water, fish food, etc). If you need to add further potassium without creating excess nitrates or phosphates, then you tweak the K2SO4 dosing.
The reason you don't dose Plantex with Macros is the risk of losing the value of the micros (like Iron and boron) because of the reaction with Phosphates (which would create compounds like Iron Phosphate which would not be available to your plants). So dosing on separate days provides better micro and phosphate availability.
The soil will eventually provide much of the nutrients, but you should always keep good nutrient levels in the water column as well.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode