Recent EI Start: Deficiiencies - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Recent EI Start: Deficiiencies

I started EI dosing NPK once per week and micros the next day several weeks ago, added another dose of NPK to make 2/wk. + Micros. I have been getting Potassium deficiency since the start so I added K2SO4 once per week. Mixed them up from dry according to Zorfox's recipe. Now it looks like I'm getting misshapen new leaves.

The picture below shows a plant with a misshapen leaf that is not straight. There is another one on the same kind of plant but that pic didn't come out in focus. I'll look around but if someone knows what deficiency this is and whether this will resolve itself or do I need to do something, I'd appreciate knowing it.

I don't know, could it be a mutation. I doubt that it's bending towards the light, but it's possible - I don't see it. The deficiency explanation makes the most sense to me. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001_22.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	477345  

MY TANK: Planted 10g; 2 x 10W CFL; Fluval U2 internal filter; MGOCPM/black sand cap

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
started April 18, 2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 11:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Looks like a Hygro type of plant and if so they really suck up the potassium.
How/what is the KH/GH in that tank ? Asking because I should have just asked are you using any Gh booster ?

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

KH is 3, GH is over 5. I use 1/2 tsp. Seachem Equilibrium per 5 gallons new water change in my 10 gallon tank. Only because the water here is very soft.

MY TANK: Planted 10g; 2 x 10W CFL; Fluval U2 internal filter; MGOCPM/black sand cap

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
started April 18, 2012

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 02:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

You should dose micros and macros 3x a week. For instance I dose NPK on Sun, Tues, Thur, and Sat, then I dose CSM+B on Mon, Wen, and Fri. The pic is blurry so I can't really tell anything by it, might try shutting the filter off for a few minutes before snapping pics. I have some of that same Hygro and mine grows like crazy, especially now that I'm injecting CO2.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 03:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
If you don't use injected or DIY CO2 you may only need two doses with the added K2SO4.
Add 1/64 tsp MGSO4 and 1/16 tsp CaSO4 @ one dose each just after the water change.
The deformed leaves will not "repair" but the new leaves should be better.
Did the pin holes not show up any longer after you added the K2SO4 ?

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hard to say whether one dose of K2SO4 is enough. Since I'm doing 2 doses per week of NPK, maybe I should add another dose of K2SO4.

The NPKs are KNO3 and K2PO4 I think. 3 K. K2SO4 is 2 more., almost double. That's one feeding.

started April 18, 2012
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 04:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Django View Post
I started EI dosing NPK once per week and micros the next day several weeks ago, added another dose of NPK to make 2/wk. + Micros. I have been getting Potassium deficiency since the start so I added K2SO4 once per week. Mixed them up from dry according to Zorfox's recipe. Now it looks like I'm getting misshapen new leaves.

The picture below shows a plant with a misshapen leaf that is not straight. There is another one on the same kind of plant but that pic didn't come out in focus. I'll look around but if someone knows what deficiency this is and whether this will resolve itself or do I need to do something, I'd appreciate knowing it.

I don't know, could it be a mutation. I doubt that it's bending towards the light, but it's possible - I don't see it. The deficiency explanation makes the most sense to me. Thanks.
Hi django,

If the problem persists I would suggest checking your water hardness. I have soft water here in Seattle and if I don't add a GH booster (Ca, Mg, K) like Seachem Equilibrium my Limnophila sp 'Wavy' will start the same 'hooked' new leaf growth your Hygro 'Sunset' is exhibiting.

Quote:
(Calcium Deficiency) 2. Necrosis occurs at tip and margin of leaves causing a definite hook at leaf tip.
Calcium is essential for the growth of shoot and root tips (meristems). Growing point dies. Margins of young leaves are scalloped and abnormally green and, due to inhibition of cell wall formation, the leaf tips may be "gelatinous" and stuck together inhibiting leaf unfolding.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I just had a look at my tank and the new Hygro leaves look ok. My GH is over 5. I am having trouble discerning the colors on that test.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi django,

If the problem persists I would suggest checking your water hardness. I have soft water here in Seattle and if I don't add a GH booster (Ca, Mg, K) like Seachem Equilibrium my Limnophila sp 'Wavy' will start the same 'hooked' new leaf growth your Hygro 'Sunset' is exhibiting.
Thanks! I'm not have necrosis, but I'll try harder on the GH.

started April 18, 2012
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I just read a post about deformed leaves and calcium deficiency. If that's my problem, I really need to figure out how to read the GH kit and then do a 50% water change with enough more Equilibrium to cover. I'm really annoyed about this GH test. I think it got harder to read when the GH got lower. Probably, because it's drop by drop of indicator liquid.

Comments, anyone?

started April 18, 2012
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 04:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
The problem with going off a GH test kit to tell if you have enough calcium is that your GH could be reading at an ok level but still not have enough calcium. Its possible to have a GH of 5-6 with zero calcium in the water. Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I believe that adding potassium will raise your GH.

Its always better to add a little extra Gh booster just to be safe when you arent completely sure what your calcium and magnesium levels are.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the comment, NiloCG. I will have to work on a few things. But I get the feeling that the aquarium has a few bumps while settling down to more ferts being available.

started April 18, 2012
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 05:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
have you try adding some Mg? in most cases Mg is lacking and there is plenty of Ca in tap waters, i don't recommend adding so much k2so4 and i would not dose any GH booster, just try some potassium and magnesium to see if things improve. i don't think potassium raise any GH, i cant think of anything in it that would lead toward increase in GH.

here is what i know which can cause twisted leaves of plants:

1. not enough CO2
2. too much Magnesium compare to Calcium (not in my theory but this is what most believe)
3. not enough Magnesium and too much calcium (my theory)
4. overdose on Traces

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe

DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 06:13 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Django View Post
I am having trouble discerning the colors on that test.
Look down through the test tube when color starts to change.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 10:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post
have you try adding some Mg? in most cases Mg is lacking and there is plenty of Ca in tap waters, i don't recommend adding so much k2so4 and i would not dose any GH booster, just try some potassium and magnesium to see if things improve. i don't think potassium raise any GH, i cant think of anything in it that would lead toward increase in GH.

here is what i know which can cause twisted leaves of plants:

1. not enough CO2
2. too much Magnesium compare to Calcium (not in my theory but this is what most believe)
3. not enough Magnesium and too much calcium (my theory)
4. overdose on Traces

I didnt think so either but I think that I recently read somewhere that there are many different thinks that go into the calculation of GH. I believe that it was Zorfox that had brought it up. Again I could be confusing something else. I will see if I can find the thread about it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode