Fe and EI - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fe and EI

I am trying to work out a dosing schedule for my 55 gallon tank. The tank has 260 pc lights and pressurized CO2. I just got dry ferts and have worked out the following schedule:

Day 1:
KNO3 1/2tsp
KH2PO4 1/8tsp
Flourish 5ml

Day 2:
K2SO4 1/8tsp

Day 3:
KNO3 1/2tsp
KH2PO4 1/8tsp
Flourish 5ml

Day 4:
K2SO4 1/8tsp

Day 5:
KNO3 1/2tsp
KH2PO4 1/8tsp
Flourish 5ml

Day 6:

Day7:
50% WC

So far I plan to start with the above schedule and adjust as seems needed. However, I wonder if I shouldn't also add Fe to the regime. I have some plants that show their best if provided with iron. Does any one have suggestions about adding iron to an EI regime for a 55 gallon tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 11:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
Just follow Seachem's dosing volume and schedule is what I would reccomend. No need to reinvent things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason H View Post
I am trying to work out a dosing schedule for my 55 gallon tank. The tank has 260 pc lights and pressurized CO2. I just got dry ferts and have worked out the following schedule:

Day 1:
KNO3 1/2tsp
KH2PO4 1/8tsp
Flourish 5ml

Day 2:
K2SO4 1/8tsp

Day 3:
KNO3 1/2tsp
KH2PO4 1/8tsp
Flourish 5ml

Day 4:
K2SO4 1/8tsp

Day 5:
KNO3 1/2tsp
KH2PO4 1/8tsp
Flourish 5ml

Day 6:

Day7:
50% WC

So far I plan to start with the above schedule and adjust as seems needed. However, I wonder if I shouldn't also add Fe to the regime. I have some plants that show their best if provided with iron. Does any one have suggestions about adding iron to an EI regime for a 55 gallon tank?
Flourish has Fe in it..............I'd add 10-15mls per dose, not 5mls.

BTW, CO2 and light will help you far more...........

This is a lot of light, so the CO2 demand will be very high.
If there's not enough CO2, you get algae, too much CO2, gasping or dead fish.

Dosing is very easy on the other hand........very easy and safe........compared to CO2.

So the dosing will be very easy, the CO2 will be much less os, so watch and tweak/manipulate that(CO2).

For light, turn on the back lights for say 4-5 hours, then shut them off and have the front lights come on for 4-5 hours as soon as the rear go off.

This will give you good spread of light, but lower intensity.
You do not need 260W on a 55 gallon tank.

I use 1/2 this amount myself(110W on a 60 gal for 10 hours)
I have high fish loads, nice growth, easy to care for etc.

Makes CO2 much easier.

More Light => more CO2 demand= more nutrient demand.
So with less, you do not need as much CO2(so this is easier to manage) and nutrients are much easier as well, this = less algae and better plant health. Most want good moderate healthy growth, not the max rates of growth.

If max growth is what you want, then you will have to work more to get that
and deal with more CO2/light/nutrient demand.

Just like you or me, if we run 26.2 miles 2x week, we have to eat more and rest more to maintain our weight. If we eat less, we can do much less exercise and still maintain that weight.

It's not just nutrients, it's the light and the CO2.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 06:05 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks all for your advice.

Tom, you have given me much to think about. I am aware that Seachem Flourish contains iron. Up until now, I have been using Seachem products for all my fertilization. I am making the switch to dry ferts, with the exception of Flourish for micros. While I was using all Seachem products, I more or less based my ferts on their calculator. Consequently, I was dosing Fe in addition to Flourish (indeed, I was dosing Fe daily). When I ordered my dry macro ferts, I also ordered iron chelate 10%. Should I simply dose the Flourish at 10-15 ml, as you suggested, or, given that I have dry fe, is there some way I can use that as well?

I currently run my lights for 8 hours/day. Lately, I have been using only half the lights. I like your idea about running half of my lights for half of the lighting period and the other half for the other half of the lighting period. However, I am using a newer Coralife fixture that only has only one plug (unlike their older fixtures that had two plugs) even though it has two switches. Unless someone can share some way that I can switch between the two banks of lights on the same plug with a timer, I will probably continue to run one bank of lights at time, but try to remember to switch them manually at roughly mid-cycle.

I thought that when I got my pressurized CO2, I would quit chasing the lights. Instead, I get more light. Some people = me never learn.

Again, I appreciate all input and advice.
jason
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 04:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Well, see about switch to a different light where you have options, it will make vacations and other algae issues in the future much easier to deal with.

I have a similar light, but run things about 1.6-1.8W gal typically and have the lights about 12" or so off the water's surface............to boot.

I flip the full light switch to get 3-4w/gal when I'm around in the evening or go out for 2-3 hours etc.

Then just turn that on/off manually. I can add a switch in there if I wanted to...........but this works well for me, as I'm not that big on higher light and growth rates as I once was.

I no longer care much about testing high max levels of light, CO2 or nutrients.
I already know all I want there.

I use similar CO2 and nutrients at lower light, makes everything much simpler and easier........and if I want to try a little less CO2/nutrients, it also makes that approach easier as well, so any method whether rich or lean works better with less light.

So lighting can be the main reason why you fail or have success with some methods and not others.............for dosing and or CO2 as well.

But many attribute it to dosing(generally the last item to fret over).

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode