What do you think? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (57/97%)
Cool What do you think?

This tank is 5 gal, run for 3 days tap water + prime and single sponge filter from existing long time tank, heater and bubble. I use Tetra SafeStart Plus 100ML put entire bottle into this tank and 1 guppy.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 80-160 (cant really tell color in this level)

I just use TSS Plus today ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 03:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master503 View Post
This tank is 5 gal, run for 3 days tap water + prime and single sponge filter from existing long time tank, heater and bubble. I use Tetra SafeStart Plus 100ML put entire bottle into this tank and 1 guppy.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 80-160 (cant really tell color in this level)

I just use TSS Plus today ....
Why are nitrates so high? If you didn't dose any ammonia to fishless cycle the tank and just went straight for it with a cycled filter and a single guppy I can't see any reason for them to be that high unless it's in your tap. If you're using an API test kit for nitrates, are you sure you shook all the solutions enough? I've read they need to be agitated very well or will provide false results.

I would think with nitrates that high you would be seeing a deaths, but maybe not. Maybe re-test?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah, that's making me wonder too .. I am using API Master Kit to test these water levels ... I will do retest for Nitrate again to make sure ... I forgot to test the TAP water before adding TSS+ ..

By the way .. the fish does not look like stress or anything ..

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 04:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Nitrate test kits are notorious for their inaccuracy until you calibrate them with controlled solutions. There's a thread on here somewhere that walks you through the making of such a solution.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I retested .. About 40-80ppm .. Still high and i believe it TSS+ make this increase .. I test my other 5gal tank cycled for many months .. The Nitrate only 5-10ppm
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 05:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master503 View Post
I retested .. About 40-80ppm .. Still high and i believe it TSS+ make this increase .. I test my other 5gal tank cycled for many months .. The Nitrate only 5-10ppm
Unless it's shrimp or other sensitive fishes like discus 40 - 80ppm won't hurt anything. I run that from just dosing ferts much of the time

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think today is 1st day cycling with Tetra SafeStart Plus .. so I will wait for 48 hours and retest again .. hopefully it will reduce it..
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 06:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Nothing in your tank is going to significantly reduce nitrates other than water changes, and maybe fast growing plants if you have a lot of them.

Nitrate is the "end product" of what your beneficial bacteria do in your tank. They convert highly toxic ammonia into nitrite, then nitrate. TSS will not reduce nitrate. TSS also will only produce as much nitrate as comes from the amount of ammonia your fish are putting off. Less fish, less nitrate.. more fish, more nitrate.

Regardless, the fact that your nitrate went down significantly between tests suggests you aren't shaking the reagent bottles enough. You really should be getting numbers very close to each other with only 24-hours between tests.. unless you did a water change in between....

edit: also, comments above about nitrate tests being notoriously mis-calibrated are also quite true.. my API test reads 6 times actual levels. However, no matter what it is reading, it should be consistent..

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech

Last edited by mattinmd; 05-19-2015 at 06:43 AM. Reason: calibration note
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@mattinmd: You are right, the Nitrate only reduce by some or large WC. However, because of yesterday is the 1st day of TSS Plus put into the both small tank. So I don't want rush WC that yet, even it seem like it does looks cycled already for both small tank. But I will check it again today before WC and after WC. I only have 1-2 fishes in those two tank because TSS suggested to do so :-) .. but so far they acting ok ...

Do you think my those two tanks are cycled?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just did 75% wc for 2.5g and 5gal .. Which was the one had TSS plus yesterday. Prior
wC, ammonia and nitrite are 0 and Nitrate still 40-80. But now after WC, both of tank has nitrate at 5-10 after large wc. How do I make sure these two fully cycled?

I also tested nitrate my tap water (no prime or anything) and it is 0 Nitrate

Last edited by Master503; 05-20-2015 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Updated
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 01:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If your ammonia and nitrite stay zero for several days after your last dose of TSS, then you have an established bacterial colony large enough to handle the ammonia waste of your current fish load, which means you are cycled...

Now that said, keep in mind that "cycled" isn't an absolute term... Once cycled, if you went from 1 guppy straight to 10, you'd probably experience an ammonia and/or nitrite spike.. probably both, just like an uncycled tank. Now, the amplitude and duration of those spikes won't be as severe as they would be if you threw 10 guppies into a brand-new tank, because you do at least have some established bacteria.

What is happening is that large increases in ammonia load can exceed what your current colonies can handle, causing a new "mini cycle" as the colonies play catch up and multiply to handle the increased load. If you think of ammonia as food for the bacteria, it is pretty easy to understand why increasing the food supply by a factor of 10 results in leftovers, at least until the bacteria can multiply enough to consume it all.

, low-tech.
, AC20, low tech
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 06:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinmd View Post
Now that said, keep in mind that "cycled" isn't an absolute term... Once cycled, if you went from 1 guppy straight to 10, you'd probably experience an ammonia and/or nitrite spike..
The way around that is to get another bottle of TSS when your going to increase your stock so dramatically.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I will put fish slowly in ... So far two days 0, 0, 5-10ppm nitrate .. I havent test 3rd day yet
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just tested water for 3rd .. Ammonia .25 (spike back), nitrite 0 and nitrate 10-20ppm.

I did 75% wc yesterday .. What should i do now? Any thoughts?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 12:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Do you have Seachem Prime as your dechlorinator?

If so, I'd dose that, as it will sequester the ammonia in a non-toxic form for 24 hours, but it will still be available to your biological colonies.

If not, keep an eye on your levels, if your pH is 7.8 or under, do water changes if ammonia climbs to 0.5... if above 7.8, do water changes at 0.25... Ammonia is more dangerous at higher pH levels and higher temperatures, due to a higher percentage being in NH3 form instead of NH4...

You can look up danger ranges for 0.5ppm and 2.0ppm total ammonia yourself at:
http://www.americanaquariumproducts....moniachart.jpg

Note: I've used TSS, and it works well, but the idea that it will cycle your tank in 24 hours is just not right... I've had to dose a bunch at the start, then redose small amounts daily, and it still took 5 days to get the cycle going...

, low-tech.
, AC20, low tech

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode