Keeping nitrates under control - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Keeping nitrates under control

I've been doing EI low-light/weekly dosing for about a month using dosage recommendation from the sticky and I am having trouble keeping my nitrate levels from rising too fast. They are easily getting up to 40 ppm within the week between water changes. I re-tested my tap water and found I have 5-10 ppm coming out of the tap.

If I reduce the amount of KNO3 I am dosing, how would I figure out how much to increase K2SO4 to replace the reduced Potassium?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 08:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
how stocked is your tank? If your fully stocked or over stocked you'll need to back off the nitrate...
This calculator should help you adjust the K2S04: http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/calculator.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5 Gal Tropic Nano w/SunSun 603b,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 10:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
interesting. i just mixed new PPS fert with no KN03 because my nitrates are too high.

Didn't even think about the potassium because I'm just not a chemical person at all. I just mix what I read.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks, I'm pretty close to fully stocked.

I came across a pretty cool chemistry site (http://www.webqc.org/mmcalc.php) and according to it KNO3 is ~38% potassium by mass and K2SO4 is ~44% potassium by mass. So if I add a slightly smaller quantity of K2SO4 than I remove of KNO3 I would come out about even on total potassium.

I don't think I'll do that much K2SO4 since I don't want to build up too much sulfer over time, so I'll add maybe 1/4 the amount and increase it if I start seeing signs of potassium deficiency.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 11:54 PM
kep
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Here are a couple of other calculators to help with dosing.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...fertilator.php

http://calc.petalphile.com/

|
|

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 11:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yes, the amounts are just a bit different. I just swap them back and forth depending on how much NO3 the tank needs. But you are right to cut it down a bit.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So it's been about I week since I last posted here. I re-mixed my macro solution to exclude KNO3 and did two 50% water changes in that time but can't seem to get my nitrates below 80 ppm according to my API test kit. I got a pressurized CO2 system this week and I'm hoping that will help the plants metabolize the existing nitrate more quickly. Is that a reasonable idea as long as I keep the other macros and micros available?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 12:58 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

whats that same API nitrate test read on your tap water? rivers near industrial scale agriculture often supply municipal water down stream with high nitrates.. especially in the rainy season.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayr View Post
whats that same API nitrate test read on your tap water?
It's reading between 10 and 20 ppm from the tap. So I know that's as low as I can go without buying an RO/DI filter.

When I first got worried about the nitrate levels it was at over 100 ppm. By my back-of-the-envelope calculations if I had 120 ppm and did a 50% water change with 20 ppm tap water it should have taken me down to 70 ppm and a second 50% water change should have taken me down to 45 ppm, but that hasn't been the case so far. Do those figures sound like a correct estimation?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 01:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I think your numbers are in the right ball park.

Have you callibrated your test? There are many posts here where people have found the API Nitrate test to be off by double or even triple! Either direction.
Test results for any amount over about 20ppm are difficult to read. Can you tell the difference between all those hot pink-rose-fuchsia shades?

You are right:
If you do a 100% water change, and the new water has 20ppm NO3 then your first test ought to be really close to 20ppm, probably not higher than 25ppm. Some water is still in the tank, even if you drained it down until the fish are flopping, and there is often some NO3 lingering in the substrate that will show up in the water when you refill.

Here is what I would do:
1) Calibrate the test.
2) Add zero NO3 from fertilizer.
3) Couple of more big water changes, back to back.
4) Test the NO3. This is the base line. The lowest you can get the NO3 without taking more measures (suggested below).
5) Monitor it daily. Any rise from here on is from fish food.

Fish food supplies reasonable amounts of N, P, and most traces. If the plants are not even using up the amount of NO3 you are adding from fish food, then they are probably also not using the P or traces from fish food.
You might just need to dose K, Fe and CO2 for a while.

Other ways to lower the NO3:
Run your tap water into a garbage can.
Hook up a filter with some nitrate removing pads, zeolite or similar materials.
Test daily until the NO3 is significantly less. Then use this water for water changes.

Run your tap water into a plants-only tank that is set up with LOTS of light, and a good supply of other nutrients. Grow emersed plants so you don't have to worry about CO2.
When the NO3 is significantly lower, use this water for water changes.

Bump: Another thought:
If the NO3 is so high in the tap water, I hope you are not drinking it, and especially no children are drinking it!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 04:38 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

thats pretty high from tap water, might take a bit of tank and tap water down to your LFS and see if they test it the same.. if its really that high you should of never been dosing nitrogen extra imho.. you could be off the charts high and your WC calculations would be off.. I dont think the API test is all that accurate at high levels like @Diana suggested, do a couple more PWC's and see if there coming down..

some bad test solution can have you chasing problems that dont actually exist.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks, that's a lot of helpful information. You're definitely right about the higher test values being hard to read

I'll have to pick up some distilled water to calibrate the the test, but I can probably do that tomorrow. Hopefully it will show that the test is reading far too high since, as you said, I have been drinking the tap water here for years. I found a city water quality report (2 years old) which said the city water supply ranged from 0.28-1.2 ppm which seems much more reasonable than the 10-20 I measured. I think I will take my water down to the pet shop as well to have them check it.

Edit:
Could it be that something else in the water is reacting with the test solution and causing a false nitrate reading? We do have very very hard water here.

Edit 2:
Also found that the EPA restriction on nitrate in drinking water is a maximum of 10 ppm. I couldn't find any record of the city failing checks so I don't think the water is nearly that bad.

Last edited by iceburg; 05-27-2015 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Added info
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 10:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Last checked my nitrates with uncalibrated API test kit a couple year's ago after beginning the dosing of KNO3 for my own low tech NON CO2 tank(s) and reading was around 120ppm.(near as I could tell)
A couple 50 % water changes and reading was 80 ppm.
I did not bother to calibrate the test kit,just put it away and bought a bunch more plant's along with reduced feeding's.
Big difference between nitrate readings as result of accumulated organic 's, and nitrate reading's as result of adding inorganic mineral salt's.
I add quite a bit more KNO3 now than I did when I first began dosing cause plant mass increase resulted in the need for more according to plant's.
I just try to keep the organic waste to a minimum with water changes ,cleaning the filter frequently (3 weeks)
Plant's ,fishes,shrimp's thrive for me.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 01:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yes, NO2 can affect some tests. But if your water had NO2 your fish would not be thriving.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 02:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Yes, NO2 can affect some tests. But if your water had NO2 your fish would not be thriving.
Plant's would much prefer the NO2 over KNO3 but as you say,,the fishes would not like it.
Some folks a while back on another forum were all keen to add a special fertilizer containing Urea to their tank's.
Those who did so realized that in their plant only tanks ,growth improved .
They could have got the same effect by adding a few fish.
Those who already had fish/shrimps in their planted tanks tried the urea with expected result's (ie) dead fauna.

Tags
ei dosing, ei low light, nitrate control, tap water

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode