Ferts - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ferts

So I'm trying to now get an idea for ferts. I have a satellite+ pro on my 55 gal so I'm in the high light range. Dirted tank with pressurized co2 added to my tank. I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction between PPS Pro or EI dosing. I'm not really sure what is better, but I like the idea of may PPS just because I'm not adding too many nutrients and just giving them what they needed for the day. Also I have a cottage I go to so I'd be gone for the weekend. I have a timer for my light and co2, but my fish when I get them would probably be fine for a couple days without feeding and not doing ferts aswell for two days wouldn't kill my plants?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 04:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Fish would be fine without food for a few days. I'd be more inclined to opt for EI if you are going to be away for the weekends as the point of PPS is to only put in what the plants will use that day and you will replenish the next day. EI dosing is usually done at water change and once or twice in between, so that leaves you room to go away for a few days without worrying about it.

George

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 03:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

It would be a hot debate to suggest which of EI or PPS is 'better'. My answer would be that EI is better for your tank if you do the 50% weekly water change. EI ensures your nutrients are never non-limiting.

Since you said that you like to fertilize just what is required, then it sounds like PPS is best for you, and that you should double up on your dosing the day before the weekend if you are worried about running a lean tank for a few days.

The more water changes you do with PPS, the higher you can dose and approach an EI non-limiting condition. (for example I daily dose like PPS, but with concentrations higher than PPS - closer to the lower end of EI, and change 12% water every 2-3 days). I would consider this a hybrid of PPS and EI.

In summary, the amount of water changes is a factor to how you dose. 50% a week allows EI. Very little forces PPS (or PMDD). There is a middle ground where you can dose higher than PPS, but change less water than 50%.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I would probably do 30% wc. So I guess like you said puts me in the middle. I like the idea of both, but they both have pros and cons.

Last edited by AndrewV; 05-16-2015 at 04:19 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 04:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I am setting up to start using PPS-Pro on my 55g, I too am doing ~30% PWC's.. I am medium lighting with no co2 right now.. I like the minimalist approach and will tweak the recipe as needed..

I feel with EI you never learn what it is your plants need as your overdosing everything, with a Minimalist approach you need to be a decent diagnostician so you can spot and fix deficiencies quickly and accurately.. and in my experience the first deficiency a plant shows is often its hungriest nutrient and you can start getting a bit liberal with that nutrient without too much concern.

I travel alot, so I am going to setup a dosing system to handle the daily nutrient regimen without relying on me being there.
http://www.amazon.com/Jebao-Programmable-Auto-Dosing-Pump/dp/B00LZUZD74/

5 Gal Tropic Nano w/SunSun 603b,
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 06:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Pps pro is basically the same EI but with doses divided by 3..5.
Either is ok because it doesn't really matter if you fertilize every day or every third day with 3x the dose.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Right makes sense. I did the Green leafs fertilizer set and added a GH booster aswell. It should arrive sometime next week. So I went with the PPS pro. I may just buy a cheapo measuring set to be able to accurately measure my ferts, but I like the idea of PPS pro becuase when I leave for the weekend I can just throw some extra in there before I leave and call it good. Then I don't have to change my water 50% all the time too. I thnk 30% is a better number.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode