Liquid fertilizer suggestions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Liquid fertilizer suggestions

I have a 100 gallon, pressurized Co2 injected and high light (Current plus) tank loaded with Java fern. Tank was set up about a month ago and the only fish are 4 SAE's and a handful of red shrimp.

For the past month I haven't seen any real growth, yet when I had exact tank set up some 8 years ago it was bubbling away with incredible growth. I thought back realized in the rush to set up I really wasn't adding anything to the water column other than the c02.

I just purchased and added a bit of Seachem Flourish but I believe that is just micro-nutrients and not the macro NPK.

Any suggestions for a all in one fertilizer or is it better to dose each of the 3 individually? I seem to recall 8 years ago I was using all Dupla products which seem unavailable now.

Thanks

Simon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 07:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel
You can definitely go liquid ferts but store bought brand name liquid ferts are going to cost quite a bit.. I'd sooner buy the dry ferts and if you want them in liquid form just make a solution yourself.

Seachem flourish is mostly just the micros, it does have a tiny amount of the macro's but not enough to make it useful.

If you go dry you'd need at least kno3, kh2po4, k2so4, iron, and either csm+b or millers microplex. All of which can be bought from either people here (nilocg for instance), Greenleafaquariums, or bobs tropical plants, or numerous other places on the internet. Also, Nilo does have some premade liquid packages you can buy that are a better deal than seachem or other store bought brands.

I use the dry ferts and mix them myself when I need it and it works great. I tried full seachem line for a couple months some years ago and just didn't have much luck with it, tend to need to dose more than they tell you to and yeah, not cheap.

SunSun Pimp # 42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 12:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Seachem makes a line of products called Flourish, each is the individual nutrient. This way you can customize the dosing per your tanks' needs.

Seachem Flourish Nitrogen
Seachem Flourish Phosphorus
Seachem Flourish Potassium
Seachem Flourish Iron
Seachem Flourish Comprehensive (trace mineral blend with small amounts of macros- not enough)
Seachem Flourish Excel (Carbon- no need if you are using pressurized CO2)

But note that you are paying for water with just a little active ingredient. Shipping, shelf space...

You can buy the active ingredients and make your own liquids, to suit your tank.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 01:04 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (127/100%)
Here's probably a year's worth of everything you need for $15+shipping. Comes with dosing instructions

http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquari...rtilizers.html

Here's a thread to show how much to mix with water if you prefer dosing liquids -

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=647697

Here is a calculator to tell how much Flourish liquids you need to equal EI levels - http://rota.la/ . Enter your values, then select premixed, then a specific seachem product from the drop down menu. Money may be no object, but it's going to get expensive quick trying to dose 100 gal high tech with brand name ferts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 01:24 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (127/100%)
Alternatively, user nilocq is highly respected around here for selling ferts. Has a brand new sale thread - https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=868321

He will also gladly help you out with dosing instructions, how to's, etc.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hybrid tank

I didn't say that I intend to add 10 M. Boesemani Rainbows. I also run a wet/dry so this tank is really a hybrid fully planted / full on 'bow tank. I travel a bit and from what I read the PPS method might be better option for me as a daily fert regime might be all but impossible.

This change things?

Thanks

Bump:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	473241  

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 04:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Pps-pro has you dosing 7 days a week so that probably isn't any better of an option. With those plants you could probably get away with dosing ei amount of ferts 1-2x per week.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 07:21 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Timely thread for me, and big thanks to burr740 for your informative posts!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode