Conditioner question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Conditioner question

Does anybody have any good suggestions for a water conditioner that has a high volume of conditioner (largest bottle)? I have a 55 gallon and the little bottles aren't cutting it when I have to use it for my 55 and 10 gallon. I'm new so I don't know all the money saving tips and tricks but does anybody know where I can buy a large bottle without breaking the bank? I don't want to just buy crappy stuff either because I have very chlorinated water at home.
Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 02:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

When you say large are you referring to a 16oz bottle? If so any of the chain pet stores and most local stores carry them.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 03:43 PM
Qwe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
You can get 2 liter bottles of Seachem Prime on Amazon...

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The largest.. the ones at the petstores are too expensive and they don't last me much either.. Thank you though.. The two liter is more what I'm looking for... Thank you as well.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 04:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
When you say "conditioner", I'll assume you're referring to a dechlorinator.

Order Seachem prime in the gallon bottle from places like Kens fish. If you want something that will probably last the rest of your life, order Seachem Safe. Safe is the powdered edition of Prime and extremely economical. The only downside to safe is that, being a powder, you need to pre-mix it.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you so much for the Seachem suggestion.. It seems that it is exactly what I'm looking for... the one I've been using has required a cap full for 10 gallons and using it like that to get it's effect make it not as durable. After reading up on seachem I can see that it doesn't take much of it at all.. I'm super excited now and it does seem like it will be cheaper than the one I have now which is not as concentrated but very expensive for what I get. Thanks again to all of you and your suggestions!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 04:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Also, if you really need large quantities, look at Seachem Safe... which is the powdered concentrate of Prime.

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 05:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushkill View Post
When you say "conditioner", I'll assume you're referring to a dechlorinator.

Order Seachem prime in the gallon bottle from places like Kens fish. If you want something that will probably last the rest of your life, order Seachem Safe. Safe is the powdered edition of Prime and extremely economical. The only downside to safe is that, being a powder, you need to pre-mix it.
+1, except that I don't premix Safe. I just put a 1/4 teaspoon into my 55 gallon before refilling. No need to premix, unless you're putting it in small tanks and need to measure very small amounts.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 07:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Amazon Prime baby

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 08:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
+1, except that I don't premix Safe. I just put a 1/4 teaspoon into my 55 gallon before refilling. No need to premix, unless you're putting it in small tanks and need to measure very small amounts.
And I know folks will simply add a dechlorinator while adding tap water to the tank.

I'm willing to say it's just a precaution of mine that if I'm going to add a dechlorinator, I may as well let it do its' job before I add the dechlorinated water back to the tanks. So my water changes start by simply filling a vessel, that has a running a powerhead at the bottom, with tap water, add Safe and let it mix for 10 minutes before sending it to the tanks. It's just the way I do it. Overkill? I'm willing to admit it may very well be, but it's worked well for me for a long time.

Angelo

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 11:26 PM
Qwe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Man, that sucks that I've gone so long without hearing about this Seachem Safe... I know what I'm getting next time!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 01:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwe View Post
Man, that sucks that I've gone so long without hearing about this Seachem Safe... I know what I'm getting next time!
I hear ya. I went through a few gallons of Prime myself before I figured it out.

But I keep some Prime around for when I need to dechlorinate small quantities of water. Like the pleated filters for HOT Magnums. After bleaching overnight, I rinse and soak them the next day adding some Prime. Just easier to deal with.

Angelo

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 02:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Look at the dilution, the dose. Not just the bottle size.

Seachem Prime and Clear Pond Chloramine Buster are dosed at such tiny amounts I use an eye dropper, and I have over 1000 gallons of tanks.
I have bought Seachem Safe, but am waiting until I run out of Prime and Chloramine Buster.

Several years ago I compared the price of various dechlorinators.
Prime and Chloramine Buster came out to about 2 cents per 10 gallons of treated water.
The others were at least 10 cents, because of the dosing- the others were dosed at much higher rates. (meaning they had less active ingredient in the bottle).
The smaller the bottle the worse the pricing. Up to $1.50 per 10 gallons of treated water.
Chloramine Buster, 16 ounce treats 8,000 gallons.
Amquel, 16 ounce treats 960 gallons.
This makes the Chloramine Buster 8.3 times as concentrated. But it is not 8 times the price. More like about double the price per bottle. So it ends up 1/4 of the price when you compare how many gallons it treats for that price.

Pond products are often available in larger bottles, but don't go by the size of the bottle- a 16 ounce of Prime ought to be just fine for a single 55 gallon tank.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 02:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

The 1 Kilo of Safe sell for $24 at Ken's and treats something in the area of 200,000 gallons of water.

The 4 liter bottle of Prime sells for $69. I haven't bought this in a while, but I know it's not even close to 200,000 gallons.

You pay a lot more for whatever it's suspended in, and the weight of shipping and handling Prime.

I just crossed the 1,000 gallon mark and I buy the 1 kilo about once a year. The difference in cost was a bit of an eye-opener.

Angelo

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 02:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Per Seachem:
100 ml bottle treats 1000 gallons.
Same as: 1ml/10 gallons.
So 4 liters (4,000 ml) treats 40,000 gallons.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode