Cool the water? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Cool the water?

Just wondering if anyone has used a small computer fan of some sort and put it on the rand side so the fan blowed across the water. How much did it cool your water down? My water won't go under around 76/77 and I plan to keep some nicer shrimp so I was thinking this could help cool it down a good 5-10* f? Also on average how many gallons of water does yours evaporate per day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My tank journal =).
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 06:53 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
The amount a fan blowing across the water will cool the water depends on how warm the surrounding air is. If the air is warmer than the water than it won't be able to cool it much, and may raise the temperature. Even if the room temperature is below the temperature of the tank water, I don't know that a fan would do much better than increasing surface agitation with slightly upturned power head or spray bar.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 10:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Depends also on the humidity of the ambient air - the drier the air, the more evaporation you will achieve, and thus the more temperature lowering you can get....

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 11:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I saw this DIY where you use a mini-fridge or similar, a length of hole to coil in the fridge, and a power head to pump water through it. You could use this in conjunction with some sort of temperature controller. Probably fairly expensive.

Just another thought if you can't get better results with the fan.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 12:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I have seen some posts where they report around 5+ degrees F of cooling, but I do not think this was a computer fan. I think this was an open tank with a slightly larger (more cfm) fan.

Look for more info using the term evaporative cooling.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Alright thanks everyone . For the mini fridge, I would do this but it is definitely not appealing to the eye when you see more than just the intake and outtake of the filter hose yet alone another two for cooling the water, so that's out of the picture, at least for now. Yea my house is at 77* most of the day if not all and the tank seems to only get to around 76 with a heater set at 76. Actually now that I think about it, I'm going to set my heater to like 74 just to see how much it truly can drop. Once I do this today I'll let everyone know what happens. Thanks again for all the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My tank journal =).
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 02:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If the house is almost always at 77, and it is at least 40 gallon tank, then turn off the heater. Monitor the water temperature, but a degree or so over 24 hours should not cause problems.

What is the optimum range for the fish you are keeping?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
If the house is almost always at 77, and it is at least 40 gallon tank, then turn off the heater. Monitor the water temperature, but a degree or so over 24 hours should not cause problems.

What is the optimum range for the fish you are keeping?
well i plan to put the following fish in the tank:
cardinal tetras
pygmy corys
otocinclus catfish
possibly a hill stream loach.
Inverts:
fantasy blue shrimp
and the shrimp is the reason for the water temp. They say to keep them in a max temp of 74* and a minimum of 68* F. This is the main reason for me wanting my water temp to drop to the 75/74*.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode