Murky Green - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Murky Green

So I've been doing water changes on my 55 gallon tank that I dirted last Friday. The water has been a murky green color. Is this because of excess nutrients? My parameters are between 7.2 and 7.6 ph and 0 ammonia 5 nitrites and about 5 nitrates. Is this just part of the cycling process? I've been doing water changes everyday. Today I did about a 50% water change and the other days I have been doing about a 20% water change. Is this because I have excess nutrients in my water? I order 12 dwarf water lettuce moneywort and more jungle val for my tank to help soak up the nutrients. I have quite a few plants in there already still, but I'll be adding more plants. I have a sun sun 304b canister filter with UV coming in which may help becuase right now I have a marineland biowheel HOB 50 gal filter sitting on the back until I get my canister filter. I also am using a nat geo 30 in light until my satellite plus pro comes in the mail Tuesday. So is this just a normal process of my new tank? I've googled a lot of stuff about murky green water but a lot of things don't really talk about it. Also I forgot to add that my plants are melting. Will new leaves grow back and this is just the process of a new tank?

Last edited by AndrewV; 05-11-2015 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Words
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 09:32 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Green water happens frequently with new tanks. Best IMO is to wait it out, you can't dilute it via water changes. Let it grow really thick, and then, a few days later, it will clear up and be gone all by itself. UV will take care of it too, unless it is totally under-proportioned. You can even filter it out with Diatomaceous Earth. I am a follower of the "let it grow and collapse by itself" method.

As for the melting leaves, depends on the plants. Some (like many Swords) are actually grown and sold emersed, and they will slowly shed their leaves and replace them with submersed leaves. Not to be confused with a total loss of leaves, growing tips, and roots, which just means dead plants.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 11:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
My experiance with dirted tanks seems hit or miss without mineralizing the soil. If the soil isn't mineralized it seems to be a bit of a lottery.

Remember, the organic matter manufacturers use comes from many sources. That's one of the reason people use Miracle gro organic. At least they have a standard of sorts.

The water changes can help with many things. Green water? Not so much.

Does it look like green dust algae? I think that's what Wasserpest was eluding to. If that's the case, then it has a life cycle which will run it's course if left alone.

Which algae do you have? Quite frankly, there's no answer. Researchers will resort to DNA analysis to identify them. The hobbyist can only treat them all the same. Which oddly enough is the correct answer.

If it were my tank I would continue the water changes then do a complete blackout for 3 days.

New tanks are just prone to problems inititally. Be patient and don't give up. Just because a friend had no problems does not mean you won't. It happens.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 01:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewV View Post
So I've been doing water changes on my 55 gallon tank that I dirted last Friday. The water has been a murky green color. Is this because of excess nutrients? My parameters are between 7.2 and 7.6 ph and 0 ammonia 5 nitrites and about 5 nitrates. Is this just part of the cycling process? I've been doing water changes everyday. Today I did about a 50% water change and the other days I have been doing about a 20% water change. Is this because I have excess nutrients in my water? I order 12 dwarf water lettuce moneywort and more jungle val for my tank to help soak up the nutrients. I have quite a few plants in there already still, but I'll be adding more plants. I have a sun sun 304b canister filter with UV coming in which may help becuase right now I have a marineland biowheel HOB 50 gal filter sitting on the back until I get my canister filter. I also am using a nat geo 30 in light until my satellite plus pro comes in the mail Tuesday. So is this just a normal process of my new tank? I've googled a lot of stuff about murky green water but a lot of things don't really talk about it. Also I forgot to add that my plants are melting. Will new leaves grow back and this is just the process of a new tank?
I'll second what Wasserpest said. You can also use Daphnia to clear up the algae making this water green.
By the way your ph is too high. It should be no higher than 7.

Last edited by Steve001; 05-14-2015 at 11:55 PM. Reason: .
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 02:49 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
By the way your ph is to high. It should be no higher than 7.
Why? 7.2 to 7.6 is perfectly fine for most fish and plants. Nitrites should read zero after the cycling is done.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 11:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
Why? 7.2 to 7.6 is perfectly fine for most fish and plants. Nitrites should read zero after the cycling is done.
Do some web investigation why ph in a planted tank should not be higher than 7.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode