Why use GH booster ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Why use GH booster ?

I don't remember which nutrient it is, but I was told that you NEED a nutrient that is in MGSO4 and that it is not in the regular list of ferts
people buy/use for ferts as in EI.
The regular list is KNO3/K2SO4/KH2PO4/CSM+B.
So what nutrient is in MGSO4 that is not in those ferts above.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 05:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Magnesium, plants love it and cant get enough of it (ie, mag-tox is extremely rare and difficult to accomplish)

most gH boosters also contain a good supply of Calcium, also great for plants, snails and pH stability.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5 Gal Tropic Nano w/SunSun 603b,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 05:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
+1, MgSO4 has Magnesium, and essential secondary nutrient for plants.. it also provides Sulfur, but K2SO4 also provides that.

That said, if your water has any reasonable level of hardness (GH) to it, it probably contains sufficient calcium and magnesium. (although your hardness could be all Ca, this is unlikely).

If you're using RODI, or have very soft water, well, GH booster is required to grow plants well.

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I added a GH booster(MGSO4/CaSO4 without K2SO4 in it) to bring up the TDS for my
shrimp. But before I did the KH was 2 and the GH was 5.
Having trouble/w some Rotala stunting. Just read a quote from a thread that said the person had no trouble growing the Rotala in a shrimp tank/w no ferts or GH booster
but when he put some of the stems in a tank that had those they stunted.
I will check the GH/KH again in my tap water to see where it is.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 06:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Interesting...

I guess I know from general gardening that some plants don't mind and often benefit from MgSO4 (tomatoes, peppers) and others hate it as the sudden influx of Mg reduces absorption other nutrients (in my experience dill hates MgSO4).

In googling about this I found one person claiming Mg over 10ppm can cause problems in rotala rotundifolia...

This makes me wonder if this is why I have problems growing rotala rotundifolia.. I GH boost my tank for Molly health reasons. That said, in my own thread on the issue, Mg deficiency, rather than excess, was brought up:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=848522

, low-tech.
, AC20, low tech
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 02:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mollies are hard water fish, so you might have to find some different plants for that tank. While most aquarium plants do not care much, as long as the nutrients are there, some plants really do require especially lower (or higher) levels of something, and just won't grow in a tank that does not meet their needs.

Even if the problem is not too-high GH, if the plant is not growing in that tank, then try another tank, or adjust things as much as the fish will comfortably allow. If it still does not work, give up.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 02:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah, that's pretty much the philosophy I'm going on...

I recently acquired a 3 different varieties of easier rotalas (colorata, rotundifolia, and sp green) and am giving them a second shot.

That said, I've got the dGH set at 11, which is well within the range for rotala's on most sites (and still hard enough for the Mollies to be happy).

Thinking more about it, I doubt I have Mg above 10ppm... probably back to my prior assumption that the hygros are stealing all the CO2...

, low-tech.
, AC20, low tech

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode